[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PhD candidate in sociology here, ask me anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1387188733356.png (106 KB, 250x298) Image search: [Google]
1387188733356.png
106 KB, 250x298
Alright, you meme loving fucks, after >>8043448 and >>8042280, here's the third of these cancerous threads.

Try not to troll it too hard, though; in turn I'll try to give you serious answers.
>>
Are you a SJW? Do you agree with them? Is the feminism/queerness/regressive complex taught in classes?
>>
>>8046206
No. No. In some, but even gender studies try to tune the justice issues down in favor of engagement with hyper-jargonist theory.
>>
How would you characterize postwar sociology in Britain and America? What are its basic assumptions about its functions? Does American sociology depart from or just nuance Parsons' confidence in the field as the alpha-and-omega of the human sciences?

How does the field deal with hermeneutics? What do theoretical sociologists think of the nomothetic-idiographic distinction?

Do theoretical sociologists read anthropological and historical theory? What do sociologists think of historical theory, and practicing historians? Do they know about distinctions within historiography like "social theory" as a softened form of "historicizing" sociology applicable to their own discipline?

How interdisciplinary is modern sociology in general? Is it fashionable to consider it a walled garden these days, or to consider it ~discursively open~ with the other humanities?

What are the current annoying paradigms that need to die?
>>
>>8046219
>How would you characterize postwar sociology in Britain and America? What are its basic assumptions about its functions? Does American sociology depart from or just nuance Parsons' confidence in the field as the alpha-and-omega of the human sciences?
Hard to say 'cause I'm a yuropoor. from my impression, sociology in the US is oriented more strongly toward a tradition that stems from big science, i.e. trying to support government policies, producing demographic data, and being more pragmatical in general. In turn, it has hardly produced any notable scholars or theories in the last 30 years. The European tradition is more theory-laden and therefore esoteric, and it could not outsource stuff like gender studies, science and technology studies, queer studies, etc. to the same extent as in the US. Humanities are weaker here, leading to a dominance of sociology together with political science and philosophy. So in a way, yes, Parsons may have been right, but for different reasons in the US and Europe.

>How does the field deal with hermeneutics? What do theoretical sociologists think of the nomothetic-idiographic distinction?
Not so well. Phychoanalysis has largely dropped out of fashion in the analysis of textx, and apart from it, there are only few who take hermeneutics seriously. European sociology has largely come to the conclusion that asking for the ''''''''''original intent'''''''''' of an ''''''''''''''''''''''author'''''''''''''''''''''' is futile. And no serious sociologist would consider himself a nomotheticist.

>Do theoretical sociologists read anthropological and historical theory? What do sociologists think of historical theory, and practicing historians? Do they know about distinctions within historiography like "social theory" as a softened form of "historicizing" sociology applicable to their own discipline?
Yes, but the French more so than most others. there seems to be some silent agreement between historians and sociologist not to venture too deep into each other's territory, so pre-1945 stuff is usually left to historians. Here in Germany, however, history is a much slower and much more conservative discipline.

>How interdisciplinary is modern sociology in general? Is it fashionable to consider it a walled garden these days, or to consider it ~discursively open~ with the other humanities?
Again, depends on what you do and where you do it. ironically, anglophone sociology might be more open to interdisciplinarity despite having a more focused agenda and less need to cooperate with X studies. A lot of the continental European sociologies, at least in the bigger countries, tend to stick to themselves. My supervisor warned me not to get too interdisciplinary if I wanted a job after my PhD.

>What are the current annoying paradigms that need to die?
I can think of a lot that annoy me, but killing paradigms has been a bad idea in the past.
>>
>>8046278
Thanks man. Sorry to overload you with questions, also. I'm studying a lot of sociology for my thesis, but it's all pre-war stuff, and all in terms of its eventual impact on other disciplines (through the French, mostly), and I just realized lately that I have almost no idea of what the modern discipline looks like. Very interesting answers.

If you don't mind me asking, since you're German: What do the German Humanities / Social Sciences "feel" like in general, post-Communism? That's another thing I'm really fuzzy on. How did Communist-era stuff get re-integrated with Western stuff, if at all? Did it change its outer form but keep its basic inner content, or was there a real cutoff point where a lot of Marxist thought (e.g.) was simply dropped? Or maybe East German stuff was just never very "dis-integrated" to begin with. I have no idea.
>>
how 2 get girlfriend?
>>
>>8046311
You should really just act like yourself. Be who you are. Pretending to be someone else would only feel. Show who you are on the inside.
>>
File: b.jpg (117 KB, 1023x986) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
117 KB, 1023x986
>>8046303
Communist stuff was never en vogue here, and even student groups became disenfranchised with it after 1990. The last Marxist strongholds were probably anthropology and world systems theory, and even they understood Marxism in an academic way. East Germany was mostly disassembled, economically, politically, and academically; there's barely anything left. Not that it ever had a strong sociologist tradition to begin with.

>>8046311
pic related
>>
>>8046325
Do I need specialized equipment, or will a box cutter suffice?
>>
>>8046219
There's a great book about post war working class and mass media's effect, The Uses of Literacy (Hoggett, 1957) It's better than anything Chomsky could do thirty years later in the US, and covers what different class assumptions about working class media and life at the time and before the war were like.

>>8046278
ugh ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''stop this'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

>>8046199
Nice dubs, have two interdisciplinary courses
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0GhgsPtaMBH2SW7s7NJ3q_WnxE-rJekW
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpPxpTiVwQ
>>
>>8046369
sry, my colleagues just ''''really'''' like to use scare quotes
>>
>>8046335
You joke about it but just being yourself will get you a girlfriend. That is a fact.
>>
>>>/mcd/
>>
File: 1463348092126.jpg (34 KB, 680x591) Image search: [Google]
1463348092126.jpg
34 KB, 680x591
What can I do with a sociology major? I need to declare and I might go double with econ/sociology. And what's the general 'attitude' among most sociology departments in America (if you're American, that is)?
>>
File: 1432223004313.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1432223004313.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>8046325
>Pretending to be someone else would only feel.
>>
>>8046420
there's a girl at the coffee shop in the building i work who has a sociology degree, so i guess u can peddle coffee, i tried to offer her a job but she was so vain she thought i was hitting on her and so didn't take me up on it, have fun then lol
>>
>>8046420
Not a murrican. I guess sociology can be a solid minor to economics if you choose your classes wisely. No idea about the attitude in the departments, but I can say from my German experience that it varies considerably between departments.
>>
you can flip burgers/be a barista/frogpost on forums

thats it i think
>>
>>8046210

>implying real gender studies isn't highly abstracted critical theory to begin with
>>
>>8046490
Yes, but critical theory does not necessarily equal social justice. In any case it's not tumblr SJW feminism, the social critical element is largely a sociologist (i.e. material) one.
>>
>>8046199
Do you like my poem?

Give me back your empty streets,
Show me the dread of your sad days past.
The end came so fast, I did not see your defeats.
Now new conquerors in your squares amass.

This city died and its spirit died with it.
It's promised exaltation came too late.
>>
>>8046199
Is Luhman still relevant?
>>
>>8046544
Not OP, but I like it. Reminds me of Cavafy.
>>
>>8046551
Thank you, it's my first ever poem.
>>
>>8046545
The theory people cite him as a reverence. All the others prefer Bourdieu unless they're from an explicitly Luhmannian chair..
>>
>>8046562
One note though: do you mean "It's" or "Its" in the last line? If you meant the former, you might want to change "came" to "come", but I suspect you intended the latter.
>>
>>8046584
The latter, thanks for noticing I sometimes mix the two up. I'm not a native English speaker.
>>
>>8046544

it's a doggerel and you should be ashamed of trying to make people read it in an unrelated thread
>>
>>8046710
Well, you're making mistakes native speakers do, so maybe spend less time on 4chan and more reading books in English if you're going to get tested.
>>
>>8046728
>a doggerel
how the hell is that a funny or sexy poem? paradise lost is closer to a doggerel. stop using technical words you don't understand in a technical terms thread.
>>
>>8046749

>1. (poetry) Of a crude or irregular construction. (Originally applied to humorous verse, but now to verse lacking artistry or meaning.)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/doggerel
>>
>>8046768
A doggerel is the historical construction; if you wanted to use the lay and more general use, you'd write "It's doggerel" not "a doggerel". Please expose yourself to common usage from more than a common use dictionary.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.