[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>spent 30 buckaroos on Georges Perec's Life: A User's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
>spent 30 buckaroos on Georges Perec's Life: A User's Manual
>waiting on it to arrive
>~660 pages

Do you guys have any tips for reading long books?

The longest book I've read from cover to cover was House of Leaves. HoL was probably closer to like 350-400 so I don't think it really counts as a long book.

inb4 pepe copypasta about reading 5 pages a day
inb4 OP can't inb4
>>
>>8021059
interested in this too
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn22UlVdpw0
>>
>>8021059
Are you afraid of not appreciating the book? Or enjoying it to it's fullest?

If so:

Read short-stories, plays, poems. Try to comprehend deeply the text (do not feel ashamed to google analysis and such).
Eventually you'll be able to understand a lot of the subtleties by youtself.

Then you can read long books and observe the details that are relevant not only to the story, but to the greatness of the book.
The trick is to be able to concentrate and store info for the beginning 'till the end of it. If you "practice" on smaller texts you'll eventually do fine in any book.
>>
>>8021059
Life: a user's... is really easy to read mate seriously. You could prob read 50 pages an hour with that one.
>>
>>8021059

Do what you do when reading a short book, but do it more.
>>
>tips for reading long books

Don't. I can't think of a single worthwhile novel over 500 pages.
>>
>>8021059
>triple digit page count
>"long"

kek

>yfw Count of Monte Cristo, In Search of Lost Time, Anatomy of Melancholy, Livy's history of Rome

Just start reading and keep reading. Same process as shorter books, but do it for more pages... If you have trouble keeping track of what's going on, take some notes as you go.
>>
i bet you're 22 at most op
>>
OP here

What about stamina/boredom? Don't you guys ever lose motivation to finish or get bored reading the same book for X time?
>>
>>8021059
Well, just keep going, I guess.

But A User's Manual is nearly a short-story compilation, and it's one of the most delighting books I've had the pleasure of reading. One of my top 5 books

Perec was BOSS and I'm split between wanting him gaining more attention here and afraid he'll become a Maymay.
>>
File: uwotmoight.png (461 KB, 520x824) Image search: [Google]
uwotmoight.png
461 KB, 520x824
>>
>>8023328
>lose motivation

Are you a fucking child that you need constant enticement and gratification? If something is worth starting, it's worth finishing. And if you need a break, take one; shift to another book/genre or even a nonreading activity. Put down the book for as long as it takes to be ready for more.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
>>
>>8023357
>How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
don't forget to kill it first
>>
>>8023364
Depends how exciting you want the meal to be
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.