[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OVID
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: images (3).jpg (5 KB, 119x149) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
5 KB, 119x149
Who translated his Metamorphoses the best?

What is your opinion of him /lit/?

What am i in for?
>>
Dunno about translations, but Ovid is universally considered one of the 3 great poets of antiquity alongside Homer and Virgil (and many prefer him to the latter). He's more witty, ironic, more psychological.

Metamorphoses is easily the single most influential book in western art. Until ~ the 17th century and the rediscovery of Greek the western tradition got *all* of its classical mythology from Ovid.
>>
Can't help you with translation but you're in for sex stories which are beautifully told.
Who the fuck fits an S&M pun into a calendar in poem form? Ovid, that's who. Metamorphoses is way more openly bawdy than that one though so you shouldn't lose too much in translation compared to some of his other shit.

Learn Latin if you want to know just how slick his shit is, but I think he should hold up if you just pick Oxford classics or some shit. They might gloss some of the perverted shit in older translations but they have to left half of it in for there to be a book too. Sorry, not much more help than that.
>>
minime, delet this
>>
fagles, fitzgarland, lattiremore and chapman, and poe but techincally poe is his own, but i would go with fitzgarland even though i havent read him yet or read any of them for that matter, just repeating what i heard down the great vine
>>
File: 1449624077894.png (86 KB, 299x209) Image search: [Google]
1449624077894.png
86 KB, 299x209
>>8015005
>Poe
>heard down the great vine
>giving recs without having read anything

/lit/
>>
The Golding translation is highly praised and was memed by Pound but I haven't read it
>>
I quite like Mandelbaum. I saw down with his, the Oxford, and the Penguin and read the first few pages of each. Mandelbaum won out--but be warned that he has no critical apparatus so if you're trying to *study* the Metamorphoses you might want to pick up the Norton or Oxford.
>>
>>8015139
reading Mandelbaum now
also recommend
>>
>>8015005
>>8015093
This hurts.
>>
>>8015099
Indeed, it was memed by Pound. It was also the Ovid which Shakespeare read, and, thus you'd think, influenced him in Titus Andronicus and perhaps even the rest of his ouvre.

I've nearly finished it - currently at book 13. it's done in AA, BB in fourteenths, giving it a nice but sometimes distracting cadence.

Seing as I dont know latin, I'm not really sure how much he sticks to Ovid, and how many liberties he takes, but I assume it's a lot, because Golding has some really nice phrases in there. And on top of this, he seems to be able to preserve the emotion behind the hard-hitting passages that seem to fly out of nowhere while still being able to rhyme.
>>
>>8013921
>Who translated his Metamorphoses the best?
me but I won't share
>>
>>8013921
>Who translated his Metamorphoses the best?
Whoever translated the edition you find for free on the internet in epub format
>>
>>8015708
>>8015679
>>8015005

Why would you shit up a potentially useful thread with your shit posts, you shit-brain scatophile? Eat literal shit.
>>
>>8015870
this question gets asked everyday
>>
>translation
Just learn Latin.

You will read more than one thing once you are able to read Latin at a high level.
>>
>>8015437
>It was also the Ovid which Shakespeare read, and, thus you'd think, influenced him in Titus Andronicus and perhaps even the rest of his ouvre.
Shakey was definitely influenced by Ovid (see: play within the play in A Midsummer Night's Dream), but Titus was much more influenced by Seneca.

>>8015926
OP asked for Ovid, not Homer, you moron
>>
>>8013921

Sort of related question, but does anyone rate the Charles Martin translation of Metamorphoses?
>>
>>8016039
I know and I gave an answer in yesterday's Metamorphoses thread. I'm sure there will be another one tomorrow along with two more Odyssey threads.
>>
>And then he turned into.... a cockroach!!
>>
>>8016039
Ovid was Shakespeare's favourite poet. He's the author he quotes the most.

The end of Romeo and Juliet is taken from Pyramus and Thisbe, for example.
>>
>>8016083
because he lamented too much the gods turned him into a roach...
>>
Ovid's translation from his mind to the quill.
>>
What about david raeburn
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.