[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comedic books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: time.jpg (23 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
time.jpg
23 KB, 307x475
What are some of the most hilarious books /lit/ has read?
>>
Once I got the bus out of the lobby and back on the road, all my passengers started criticizing the way I had been driving. Everybody's an expert. The kids in the back gave me the worst time. There's something about being in the back that brings out the worst in people. They were really making fun of me, and getting some pretty good laughs at my expense. I hollered over my shoulder, with growing anger, that if they didn't quit being so funny at my expense, if they didn't start making their humor more generic, I was going to pull over, make everybody walk home, call everybody's parents, blow the damn bus up and set fire to the world. This chilly prospect didn't bother the kids, who thought it was a lot more interesting evening than they had planned, but it greatly alarmed some of the older passengers, who started trying to get off the bus again, even though we were going over 50mph. I had to tilt the bus up on its side wheels to get them to slide back more or less into their seats. Then I had to deal with all the fake injuries, and spend 10 or 15 minutes saying soothing things like 'snap out of it' and 'you're not hurt' and 'please, god, don't let him die' until everybody on the bus had calmed down again. These are the kinds of things a bus driver has to deal with.
>>
their autobiographies
>>
>>8012638

their they're in there chairs
>>
Catch 22
Confederacy of Dunces
Gonna check out Wodehouse, although I may just watch the tv series
>>
>>8012622
Jack Handey has some pretty funny stuff. In fact some of his pieces had me doubling over in laughter, slapping my thighs and all that. Unfortunately he is very hit or miss, mostly misses. Still, the good stuff was more than worth it.

Other than that, Kharms's stuff makes me laugh like mad, every time; most people would probably just find him silly though.

Then we have Jerome K. Jerome and Saki, whose humour I find pretty similar. I hear Wodehouse is better than both, but I've yet to check him out.

Recently I've had a few spats of hysterical laughter reading, of all things, the Iliad. There's something about a goddess bitchslapping another and calling her accordingly that almost brought me to tears.

Oh yeah: The Adventures of Brave Soldier Svejk -- pure comedic gold. A favourite of mine since grade school, and it hasn't got old one bit.
>>
>>8013466
I love the Brave Soldier Svejk, my favorite comedic author is from my country which is non-English speaking so I doubt /lit/ would know him. I'm currently translating one of his short stories for /lit/.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102 KB, 1280x720
Pentheus dressing as a woman and the irony of Dyonisus was pretty funny.
>>
The Third Policeman.
I just finished it yesterday, funniest book I've read in a long time.
>>
>>8013466
Wodehouse is more consistent that Jerome but in my opinion Three Men in a Boat is funnier than anything Wodehouse put out.
>>
>>8012622
Catch 22
What If?
Goethe's Faust (Part 2) (A bigger LSD-trip than Candide, if you can believe it)
Basically anything by Paasilinna
Hitchiker's Guide.
>>
>>8012622
Lolita, fampai.
>>
>>8013558
At least you didn't answer Anne Frank.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.