[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suicide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
What novels have suicide in them? How do different authors deal with the topic? What's your favourite way the topic is dealt with?
>>
the quintessential suicide novel would probably be Werther
>>
File: 2.jpg (515 KB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
515 KB, 1000x1400
It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're just beginning to look into the subject, I think you should start by reading the book Notes on Suicide by Simon Critchley because he explains a number of different perspectives on suicide ranging from Christian to Buddhist to Philosophical and everything in between and lays out each of their arguments thoroughly so you can come to a conclusion on your own.

Personally, I like the writing of Camus on the subject, starting with Myth of Sisyphus and then reading his novels (especially The Fall and The Outsider). Quite a few great writers on suicide are in pic related and I definitely suggest reading Cioran, Miller, and Williams.
>>
I love Frobisher in Cloud Atlas. I am a big fan of Cloud Atlas and I herald it as a masterpiece.
>>
>>7995358
too bad goethe didn't emulate the protagonist
>>
>>7995461
too bad you don't emulate goethe
>>
>>7995386
nobody heralds anymore. heartwarming to see
>>
>>7995469
I am trying to rejuvenate the act for our postmodern culture. One heralded literary work at a time.
>>
Is The Virgin Suicides good? I want post-postmodern literature.
>>
>>7995500
It was okay, nothing amazing.
>>
>>7995500
It is good but Middlesex is so much better.
>>
>>7995341
The Sound and the Fury
Mysteries
Pan
The Devils
Jude the Obscure
Lie Down in Darkness
Another Country
Anna Karenina
Madame Bovary
>>
>>7995341
Can a Christian committing suicide be considered him saying fuck you to God? Or does it not have to be like that in different cases?
>>
>>7995341
The Pale King

There's a suicide as soon as the novel picks up pace.
>>
>>7996325
Whoops I forgot The Name of the Rose
>>
>>7996336
Did Jesus commit suicide?
>>
Coming Through Slaughter
Unbearable Lightness of Being
Fahrenheit 451
Things Fall Apart
>>
>>7996346
The question popped up when I heard of a summary of a retelling of the book of Job. The story's Job character is told by his friends to curse god and commit suicide. And in the book of Job it is said that it is God's choice to take a life away, not the one who has the life. But does it have to be that case in every instance of suicide?
>>
>>7996359
Sorry, is committing suicide is a form of cursing god in every instance of suicide.
>>
Were Mersault's choices an act of suicide?
>>
>>7995500
I loved it. but I totally identified with the group of boys. I was always secretly in love with some girl.
>>
>>7996366

The general, reasonable stance on this within the faith is that it (usually) reflects internal torment or mental illness and not an act of sin/rebellion against God. This is how I've always heard the discussion lead in a fairly conservative Christian body, and more moderate bodies would lean this way even moreso.
>>
>>7996625
Yeah the reasonable stance is something like "Wow, they must have really been in pain to want to end their existence" rather than the doctrinaire "Lol... they sinned against hope... unforgivable sin (according to my theories at least)"
>>
>>7996325
wow fuckin spoiler alert
>>
>>7995461
What's wrong with Goethe?
>>
>>7995500
The concept was really good, with the point of view being spying neighbors. The execution was pretty bland.
>>
>>7996346
Suicide by Rabbi/Roman.
>>
Wuthering Heights
Bleak House
>>
>>7995500
Decent, but nothing more.
>>
>>7995341
Demons - Dosto
Kokoro - Soseki
Thousand Cranes - Kawabata
The Secret History - Tartt
Suicide - Leve
>>
I've been drunk in Jeffrey Eugenides' house.
lol
>>
>>7999510
Did you meet him?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.