[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a living to be made off of novel-writing? I'm currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1449294592900.jpg (157 KB, 1410x540) Image search: [Google]
1449294592900.jpg
157 KB, 1410x540
Is there a living to be made off of novel-writing? I'm currently on page 87 of a near 700 page "Game of Thrones"-ish fantasy novel that I'm writing, could I make a living off of it if I self-publish on for ebooks on like Amazon? Or even the traditional way?
>>
>>7992645
You'd be far pressed to try to get a good living off of just dumping novels out of the blue into the Amazon marketplace and hoping fish bite.

Here's how alot of people make their living off of Amazon using books:
>They write a few books, giving them out for free on the market at first
>After building up enough interest from the free books, release a book for something cheap, like $0.99
>Gradually start building the prices on future books up

Basically, you need to build an audience, then release your master pieces. Try releaseing some short stories for free. Use it as a way of getting some practice.
>>
>"Game of Thrones"-ish fantasy novel
There is a living, for people with original ideas
>>
File: Shkreli1.jpg (96 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Shkreli1.jpg
96 KB, 600x800
>>7992645
>Is there a living to be made off of novel-writing? I'm currently on page 87 of a near 700 page "Game of Thrones"-ish fantasy novel that I'm writing, could I make a living off of it if I self-publish on for ebooks on like Amazon? Or even the traditional way?
>>
File: city on fire.jpg (32 KB, 235x346) Image search: [Google]
city on fire.jpg
32 KB, 235x346
>>7992645
Pic related earned a two-million dollar advance, so yes.
>>
>>7992691
Any advice for people without a -berg or a -stein at the end of their name?
>>
>>7992660
Yeah that's called an office worker, entertainment is all borrowed from ideas you mongoloid.
>>
>>7992723
I don't even think that guy's Jewish. Sounds like a Scandinavian name.

Git gud.
>>
>>7992645
Is this bait? How do you know the book will be near 700 pages if you are only on page 87?
>>
>>7992645
>TFW page 700
>TFW I enjoyed writing and polishing every part of my novel but now I don't want to waste time finding a publisher.
I-I just want to write.
>>
>>7992645

Doing it wrong.

Write short stories. Sell online or in magazines.
When you have some recognition and sales history
THEN
write larger books and get officially published.
>>
You can sell short stories on Amazon? What if it's like twenty pages and you sell it for 99c? Will people be like "no."
>>
>>7992741
came here to post this
>>
>>7993182
Most times short stories aren't bought.

But if you release free ones and eventually if your writing is well received (and good hopefully) you start bumping the price up to 99
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.