[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how is duke's program in critical theory? pls no shitposts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
how is duke's program in critical theory?

pls no shitposts
>>
>>7984532
It used to be great when Fish was the Department head and it was the all-star team of critical theorists in America but naturally too many egos ruined the department and I'm not sure if its bounced back yet (I only know this because one of my professors at Davidson was there for all of this)

http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/9902/yaffe.html
>>
>>7984549
isn't fish something of a meme in academia at this point?
>>
>>7984559
At this point, yeah. That's not to say at one point he wasn't kind of a powerhouse, unfortunately every professor has found a way of adapting "Is There A Text in This Class?" into an excuse for not professing quality material or expected undergraduate work but really niche texts of study that defy canonization, but really they're usually really gimmicky and bad, professors use them as low-hanging fruit. There's pretty much a trifecta in every liberal arts class now of learning: Duchamp's "Fountain", Barthes 'The Death of the Author' and Fish's "Is There.." to promote whatever they want to teach so they can do more research on it while professing so they can present their teaching methods of gimmicky works at conferences. Not all professors, just the ones who meme Fish, which is a fair amount (they're the ones who try way too hard to connect with the kids and be cool)
>>
Any recommendations for schools with great graduate programs (whether English, Comp Lit, even super continental philosophy departments) with a focus on critical theory?
>>
>>7984565
Pardon me, but why are you so interested in Critical Theory?
>>
>>7984568
Why do you care why someone has interests that they want to pursue around others?
>>
>>7984568

Just hijacking the thread for a recommendation.
>>
>>7984574
Because I want to know what makes the field interesting, in general and to themselves.
>>
>>7984623
Ssh, that's why I'm here too. You're being very overt.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.