[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This book is making me sleepy /lit/. I'm 1/3rd of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 9780141185132.jpg (242 KB, 769x1181) Image search: [Google]
9780141185132.jpg
242 KB, 769x1181
This book is making me sleepy /lit/.

I'm 1/3rd of the way through, I enjoy the insight camus goes into depth on involving the town and its inhabitants and their reactions to the plague but the fact of the matter is, the town is ugly, claustrophobic, and i don't quite care about plague in this context.

What were some things you guys enjoyed about it, so I could get through the book better with something maybe I"m missing.
>>
>>7983487
>but the fact of the matter is, the town is ugly, claustrophobic, and i don't quite care about plague in this context.
Go read some genre schlock if you want something nice m8. Or Proust or something I guess. A big part of the plague is its dirty scurrying decrepit descriptions.
>>
>>7983487
I enjoyed the fact that The Plague is a look into how people cope with their morality once confronted by death.
>>
>>7983487
Later in the book the doctor and one of the other main guys (forget his name) go onto a rooftop to overlook the town and have a very nice, meaningful chat about what keeps them going. If I remember correctly it was Camus' usual 'it might be a futile losing battle, but there's importance and value in the struggle' vibes. That was my favorite part of the book.
The way they fight against death is the point of the novel, it's not about creating an atmospheric seaside town for escapism. I don't really know what you expect.
>>
>>7983530

It's not that I wanted something nice, I didn't know what to expect, I just read the stranger a year ago and had this sitting around. I liked camus's atmosphere/nature descriptions quite a bit.

>>7984116
>>7983870

I'm about halfway right now it's picking up, its not that it's a bad book by any means, maybe i'm just not in the mood for it. Or to be frank don't care at all about the environment/scenario etc.

I get what you're saying, It's not my favorite at the moment but maybe by books end with the panic picking up and seeing it all come together i'll change.
>>
>>7983487
I was thinking about reading it after reading the Stranger in high school but my high school english teacher said I should adopt a more pragmatic way of looking at life.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.