[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"One must imagine Sisyphus happy." what did he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 468x720) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 468x720
>"One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

what did he mean by this
>>
A Kierkegaardian leap of faith
>>
>>7979241
Nobel prize winner eheh
>>
This is my personal understanding. I do not know if this is the academic understanding but frankly given the subject matter I don't really care one way or the other.

When he says "One" he is referring to humankind. Humanity must (note the imperative) imagine that Sisyphus is happy in his never-ending labor because unfortunately being a human is no different since there is no inherent worth in any particular action. If someone ridicules or pities Sisyphus they must ridicule and pity themselves. If one thinks Sisyphus's life is not worth living then they at the same time asserting that their own life is not worth living. Therefore "One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

The biggest way people misinterpret this is assuming that Sisyphus is a tragic character and that Camus was claiming that life is pointless and empty and depressing. In fact it is the opposite. In a life without meaning you are free to create your own meaning and embrace whatever it is you want to embrace without guilt or remorse.
>>
Really not that hard to understand at all tbqhwy
>>
>>7979275
>If one thinks Sisyphus's life is not worth living then they at the same time asserting that their own life is not worth living
You could've cut it down to just this sentence
You're right though. If you imagine some guy pushing a boulder to the top of a cliff day in day out as happy, then you can be happy doing whatever the fuck you do; because it sure as hell isn't as bad as what ol' syssy is doing
>>
>>7979306
i guess just sissy would've made more sense there
>>
>>7979275
You've already said this.
>>
>>7979306

>it sure as hell isn't as bad as what ol' syssy is doing

I think you've missed the point. There is no good or bad. Comparing one action to another goes against everything Camus was saying. True happiness is not comparative. True happiness is not running the race nor is it refusing to run the race. True happiness is accepting that the race doesn't matter.
>>
>>7979326
Well that's just totally absurd
>>
File: LMAO!!!.png (682 KB, 802x750) Image search: [Google]
LMAO!!!.png
682 KB, 802x750
>>
> one must imagine the cuck happy

ftfy
>>
>>7979241
I always thought it meant you have to imagine Sisyphus is happy to push that boulder up because he finds pleasure in his meaningless task. Sisyphus is not suffering, Sisyphus is happy. He enjoys working and doing the absurd. He does it for free. You can apply this to your own life and say "I'm happy to mop up piss" "I'm happy to scrub high rise windows" "I'm happy to work through a meaningless task as absurd as it seems"
>>
>>7979368
This desu. Sisyphus is the bull and the rock is your fat, "white," American wife.
>>
>>7979378
>He does it for free
He is kind of forced into it. If he had a chance I bet he would sneak out of Hades again.
>>
>>7979385
That was a meme, Anon, but he does it for free regardless because he isn't paid for it and hes forced to do it.
>>
File: 1448066306227-1.png (312 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1448066306227-1.png
312 KB, 500x375
>>7979241
When Agent Wilson calls Bane a "big guy" he's clearly referencing him as the Übermensch, while himself indulges in herd mentality represented by the institution that is Central Intelligence Agency.

Prior to the scene, Wilson shoots out of the plane. He does so out of misguided anger, furious that neither faith in god (note how he shoots at the sky) nor the scientific knowledge has not given him the rest or respite he desires.

When Bane crashes the plane with no survivors, he's crashing slave morality. He's crashing old thoughts and institutions such as religions (Christianity for example). He's crashing secular humanism. He's crashing herd mentality. He's crashing even himself. In this crash, a fire rises in the wreckage - the triumph of "life" over "logic"

Then, in the end Bane reminds Dr. Pavel that "Now is not the time for fear, that comes later!" The world is necessarily moved in a cycle, endlessly repeating all past events due to finite amount of matter and infinite amount of time. In this eternal recurrence, the plane crash will repeat - again and again.

...But if life triumphs over logic, the only meaning is life then is the will to power, that means big guy will always have charge here.
>>
>DUDE JUST ROLL THE ROCK UP AND DOWN THE HILL ITS SO FUCKING FUN DO IT ALL DAY EVERY DAY XDDDD I JUST LOVE WORK THIS IS SO GREAT

fucking frog faggot hack
>>
>>7979393
10/10

bravo nolan
>>
>>7979326
I don't think I missed the point
Thanks for your interpretation though
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.