[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Lit/erary Feels Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 0351 - L6BRJuk.jpg (23 KB, 286x256) Image search: [Google]
0351 - L6BRJuk.jpg
23 KB, 286x256
Frankenstein

>I have good dispositions; my life has been hitherto harmless and in some degree beneficial; but a fatal prejudice clouds their eyes, and where they ought to see a feeling and kind friend, they behold only a detestable monster.

-The Monster to the Blind Man in chapter 15.
>>
How could a walking corpse be so articulate?
>>
>As for me, I am a watercolor.
>I wash off.

Anne Sexton, from "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"

>For want of me the world's course will not fail:
>When all its work is done, the lie shall rot;
>The truth is great, and shall prevail,
>When none cares whether is prevail or not.

Coventry Patmore, from "Magna Est Veritas"

>Yet if you should forget me for a while
>And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
>For if the darkness and corruption leave
>A vestige of the thoughts that I once had,
>Better by far that you should forget and smile
>Than that you should remember and be sad.

Christina Rossetti, from "Remember"

>I shall not see the shadows,
>I shall not feel the rain;
>I shall not hear the nightingale
>Sing on, as if in pain:
>And dreaming through the twilight
>That doth not rise nor set,
>Haply I may remember,
>And haply I may forget.

Christina Rossetti, from "Song"

>I am tired of tears and laughter,
>And men that laugh and weep,
>Of what may come hereafter
>For men that sow to reap;
>I am weary of days and hours,
>Blown buds of barren flowers,
>Desires and dreams and powers
>And everything but sleep.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, from "The Garden of Proserpine"
>>
File: schopenhauer.jpg (635 KB, 2949x3833) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer.jpg
635 KB, 2949x3833
>Human life must be some kind of mistake. The truth of this will be sufficiently obvious if we only remember that man is a compound of needs and necessities hard to satisfy; and that even when they are satisfied, all he obtains is a state of painlessness, where nothing remains to him but abandonment to boredom. This is direct proof that existence has no real value in itself; for what is boredom but the feeling of the emptiness of life? If life—the craving for which is the very essence of our being—were possessed of any positive intrinsic value, there would be no such thing as boredom at all: mere existence would satisfy us in itself, and we should want for nothing.

― Arthur Schopenhauer

I want to read schopenhauer so fucking bad because a lot of I've read about him and how he thought is relevant to quite a few things that I've been dealing with lately. Unfortunately I'm still on the greeks and have to study 2000 years worth of canon before getting to him.
>>
>>7975478
>Christina Rossetti
My brother of African extraction.
>>
>>7975499
That is pretentious as hell

Happiness is to love and to work.
>>
>>7975597
Lol fuck off wagecuck normie

I pity you
>>
File: 1460471162594.jpg (3 MB, 1996x3530) Image search: [Google]
1460471162594.jpg
3 MB, 1996x3530
>>7975499
>Unfortunately im at the greeks
Nigga what the fuck does this change? What people dont tell you is that whats better than starting with the Greeks is starting with the Greeks while simultaneously looking at modern and contemporary philosophy. I learned Kant alongside Aristotle and it helped me immensely. As long as you have the faculty of memory and actually use it, order doesnt really matter. You'll be able to map out the differences and trains of thoigh intuitively.
>>
File: Isaac Crying.gif (2 KB, 114x81) Image search: [Google]
Isaac Crying.gif
2 KB, 114x81
"Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness. Wretched is he who looks back upon lone hours in vast and dismal chambers with brown hangings and maddening rows of antique books, or upon awed watches in twilight groves of grotesque, gigantic, and vine-encumbered trees that silently wave twisted branches far aloft. Such a lot the gods gave to me - to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken. And yet I am strangely content and cling desperately to those sere memories, when my mind momentarily threatens to reach beyond to the other. ”

- H.P. Lovecraft, The Outsider
>>
>>7975599
>to love and to work
That doesn't imply being employed, you fat, invertebrate jackal.
>>
>>7975612
This desu!
>>
>>7975405
>Frankenstein proceeds to throw little girl into the water.

honestly. what a fucked up asshole. angry mob was right.
>>
>>7975643
That little girl was a bitch and a slut. She got what she deserved
>>
>>7975499
Schopenhauer isn't all doom and gloom... You get all the Kantian stuff, cool chapters about how eyes work, aesthetics, a chapter about how what makes a good pillar, random outbursts about how shit Hegel is, all wrapped up in a beautiful system that ties Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity in with Transcendental Idealism to explain all of existence. Schopenhauer's the best.
>>
>There is silent and long-suffering sorrow to be met with among the peasantry. It withdraws into itself and is still. But there is a grief that breaks out, and from that minute it bursts into tears and finds vent in wailing. This is particularly common with women. But it is no lighter a grief than the silent. Lamentations comfort only by lacerating the heart still more. Such grief does not desire consolation. It feeds on the sense of its hopelessness. Lamentations spring only from the constant craving to reopen the wound.

This fragment seemed so sad and pathetic. I just had to save it.
>>
File: 1459767213166.jpg (42 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459767213166.jpg
42 KB, 1440x1080
>>7975597
>>
>>7975499
>mere existence would satisfy us in itself
Animals don't seem to have a concept of boredom, and look at them. The ability to feel a negative is what makes us strive for the neutral or even positive. If we can be bored, we will actively attempt to overcome challenges, some we needn't necessarily face in the first place, to stop that boredom. We've become so dependent on overcoming obstacles that we invented video games so anyone could conquer challenges when they aren't presented with enough of them in their day to day lives. Feeling pain is what makes us preserve our physical health and feeling boredom is what makes us advance as a species. For fucks sake, we are the only creatures on this planet with the chance of being able to survive the eventual death of the sun. All of this because the human condition dictates us to be consistently dissatisfied with the status quo.

Evolving boredom is the best thing that could have happened to us.
>>
James, Portrait of a Lady:

>“I’m rather ashamed of my plans; I make a new one every day… Have you never made plans?”
>“Yes, I made one years ago, and I’m acting on it to-day… It was to be as quiet as possible… Not to worry—not to strive nor struggle. To resign myself. To be content with little.”
>“Has your life been negative?”
>“Call it affirmative if you like. Only it has affirmed my indifference. Mind you, not my natural indifference—I had none. But my studied, my wilful renunciation.”
>“I don’t see why you should have renounced,” she said in a moment.
>“Because I could do nothing. I had no prospects, I was poor, and I was not a man of genius. I had no talents even; I took my measure early in life. I was simply the most fastidious young gentleman living. There were two or three people in the world I envied—the Emperor of Russia, for instance, and the Sultan of Turkey! There were even moments when I envied the Pope of Rome—for the consideration he enjoys. I should have been delighted to be considered to that extent; but since that couldn’t be I didn’t care for anything less, and I made my mind not to go in for honours… So I’ve passed a great many years here on that quiet plan I spoke of. I’ve not been at all unhappy. I don’t mean to say I’ve cared for nothing; but the things I’ve cared for have been definite—limited. The events of my life have been absolutely unperceived by any one save myself.”

And in light of that, also from Portrait:

“I don’t approve of myself in the least. Sometimes it comes over me—how I should object to myself if I were not myself, don’t you know?”
>>
>>7975622
Hope you're doing okay anon
>>
>>7975832
where is it from?
>>
File: img000011.png (68 KB, 2317x1600) Image search: [Google]
img000011.png
68 KB, 2317x1600
>I will never find a cute pale shy gf who is into literature and likes staying home wearing pyjamas all day just being around me while we both read
>>
>>7976639
Why not, Anon?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.