[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I likely to be banned (permanently) from /lit/ should I begin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8
File: two_frogs.jpg (9 KB, 322x156) Image search: [Google]
two_frogs.jpg
9 KB, 322x156
Am I likely to be banned (permanently) from /lit/ should I begin pasting my entire six-part debut memoir here, which at this point totals over 600,000 words?

I have reached a point in the process of submitting my work whereby I am convinced that the hierarchy of the contemporary publishing world has conspired against me, even if they themselves are unaware of having done so, in refusing to acknowledge the profundity and purity of articulation in my work. Already I have been accused of threatening an agent who mistook my eagerness for hostility, one who took offence at my submitting the same work several times under different pseudonyms, and have been otherwise dismissed either reluctantly or frankly and without encouragement both by literary agents and their pimps in the publishing establishment.

At this point I am considering offering my work for free to the readers of this board in the hope that at least a small group of precocious and emotionally sound individuals will appreciate my profound genius and Christ-like vulnerability.

Is it worth it?

I really do feel I am trapped in a maze without there being a guarantee of either an exit or a reward of some sort at the centre. My mommy has yet again entered one of her moods and has been attempting to gain access to my bedroom all day in the hope of persuading me to go to work with the husband of one of her colleagues who I gather works at some sort of construction site. Despite her being aware of my sensitive disposition and my aversion to physical labour she seems more insistent than ever that I should fulfil my alleged social duties.
>>
>>7953738

>mistook my eagerness for hostility
lol what the fuck did you do
>took offence at my submitting the same work several times under different pseudonyms
that's standard. if they don't want to publish you, they don't want to publish you. you're a fucking idiot if you thought they wouldn't notice, and all you did was piss them off
>offering my work for free to the readers of this board
>Is it worth it?
what you should to is take a creative writing class and develop a thick skin, because the odds that the publishers are right and you're writing is shit far outweighs the odds that you are some sort of misunderstood genius

just know that if you post your thing here, you can't sue anybody for plagiarism/copyright infringement and if you're serious about getting published you'll have to come up with something else
>>
Go for it.
>>
Calling for a pre-emptive permaban
>>
So you've written something huh
Well, post parts of it around, see if people like it
You ain't got nothing to lose if you want to prove them other fags wrong.
>>
>>7953738
lol Do it. It's more relevant to literature than 90 percent of the shit that gets posted here. But I don't see why you wouldn't just pastebin it or something.

Unless it is the attention you want.
>>
Excellent b8. Post that shit.
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
>>7953759
>lol what the heck did you do
I was simply being persistent and offered the agent who dismissed my work a second change to consider it, apparently in a way which made him interpret my offer as a threat against his person. How someone with such poor comprehension occupies the position in society he does is too surreal a fact to be worthy of any focused consideration on my part.

>creative writing class and develop a thick skin
Both these suggestions are repulsive to me, trusting as I do in my instincts (informed as they are by my profound intellect). Creative writing classes are, in the twenty-first century age at least, a means of scamming naive individuals with the vague promise that the classes they attend (taught on the most part by writers of very little renown, to the point of being utterly obscure beyond their geographical region or educational institute) will allow them to gain possession of a talent which I am more and more convinced is something the greatest writers possess at birth and have the opportunity to perfect should they choose to do so. Growing a thick skin is out of the question. I refuse to become callous when my sensitivity and purity have contributed so much to my profound insights into the external world and into the interior world of both myself and of other people.
>>
File: 1455385457212.jpg (77 KB, 800x569) Image search: [Google]
1455385457212.jpg
77 KB, 800x569
Memoirkun, I've been eagerly awaiting your memoir ever since you first mentioned it. It genuinely seems like the only interesting thing that will come out of this board. You have told us you will never post it from fear of ruining your chances of getting published, so I'm very excited to hear you will let us see some of it.
>>
>>7953776
Pastebin (as an example of a primitive file-hosting site) is an option I have considered, among a great number of options, however I feel that in the spirit of all those great books that were serialized either in newspapers or magazines I may carry the torch, as it were, and continue that particular tradition by my serializing my work here.
>>
>>7953807
Quit the pomp. Post your shit.
>>
>>7953813
I am considering doing just that, though I am banned so often (usually for three days) that I do not want to risk being banned permanently, either from my home network or from the local public library where much of my work is completed.
>>
File: 1451683754179.jpg (1 MB, 1300x770) Image search: [Google]
1451683754179.jpg
1 MB, 1300x770
>>7953822
release a pastebin every Friday.
>>
>>7953822
What have you been getting banned for?
>>
>>7953738
Take it easy Elliot Rodgers, though I'm sure if you posted it here we'd appreciate it with the dankest of memery.
>>
>>7953825
I find the aesthetic quality of pastebin to be far inferior to my admittedly high standards. I considered posting a pdf link of the entire book though I will therefore risk overwhelming potential readers with a large document that they would have little reason to read. At least reading it here on 4chan would be something of a communal event and as I would be posting over a series of threads there is more of a chance that people who miss the initial thread in which I would otherwise "dump" my work will come across one of of the threads (in which I will link previous threads in the OP, perhaps) and decide to continue reading from that point onward. I am also convinced that should I manage to gain enough evidence that people are reading the work I have for so long laboured over, my mommy will, having comprehended this, stop hassling me about finding more socially-validated and economically rewarding means of employment.
>>
Posting long text will get you banned for sure. It's considered spam. Just link it.
>>
>>7953828
I have been banned from this and other boards for allegedly "spamming" and posting at length about things other than the topic at hand.
>>
people post their work outside of critique threads all the time
>>
>>7953797
Not funny
>>
>>7953840
I feel like posting it anywhere other than /lit/ will lessen the emotional and intellectual impact my work would otherwise have, lacking as it would any conspicuous affiliation with this board. Pastebin and other hosting websites lack the aesthetic quality I demand of any site which will potentially host my work. I have considered uploading it as a PDF but again I believe that detaching it from this board will mean that potential readers will not get the chance to benefit from my work as they otherwise would should I post a series of threads over time, one or more of which they may come across while browsing. I have considered emailing the moderators directly but my correspondence with them over the years has been frustrating and pointless, the refusal on their part to consider the justifications for my "spamming" which I consistently take the time to articulate being a sign of their dictatorial ambitions.
>>
>>7953738
Do it anon.
>>
>>7953858
Anon, can we see an excerpt? Just a tiny sample you think shows even just a sliver of your work's themes.
>>
Post a PDF instalment every week, anon.
>>
>>7953922
I agree with this guy.
>>
>>7953917
This
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Only 600,000?

Sounds like a warm up.
>>
>>7954092
a memoir is different from genre fiction, anon
>>
>>7954099
shut your cockholster. thats motherfucking Gaskun you're talking to.
>>
Dear sir,

You are my favorite poster here by far, and for obvious reasons! Your eminent and peerless genius, akin to that of Shakespeare and Homer but purer and more honest, shines in every one of your glowing sentences.

Any who would ban you for sharing your undoubtably perfect and timeless work would be quite the philistine. I say give it a try and if you end up being banned, this board doesn't deserve you.

Sincerely,
Anonymous
>>
I need to read this memoir.
>>
>>7954125
P.S.: If you are exiled from this board, I too shall leave it until you are allowed to return, even if that day is never to come. I recommend all other sensible anons pledge to do the same.
>>
I hope he decides to post it and outs it in a nice font 12 size times new roman pdf for us but gets IP banned before he gets to post it. I would appreciate that
>>
>>7953738
This is the guy who plays a role and drops it after 100 replies. Fuck off OP.
>>
>>7954114
It's a valid point to be honest, you can put your trip back on.
>>
>>7954134
Of course, although I did not know OP until but moments ago I now feel that all posts and memes I've ever encountered on this imageboard are a result, direct or indirect, of his influence. If removed, I should conclude this board holds no more value for me!
>>
>>7954134
I concur this thought.
>>
I've seen you post here several times before, it's good to have you back
>>
>>7953838
How patient are you with learning about self publishing? I think it's possible to review sections of your novel like Part 1a, 1b, 1c and so forth until you get the next part.

You'll get the gist of your memoir, but if you put it in parts your reviewer and reader will be able to cross reference information easily.

I've enjoyed reading a completed serial release of kung fu drug addicts before.
>>
>>7954114
Well I've talked to Gaskun in a live chat and honestly he seems kind of pathetic.
>>
File: 1459048225404.png (38 KB, 129x113) Image search: [Google]
1459048225404.png
38 KB, 129x113
>>7954377
I'm amazed at the people that can't spot this bait, this has got to be as easy as it gets
>>
>>7953738
hey i remember you
>>
>>7954134
I do pledge, sir
>>
>>7953738
It couldn't be....
Memoir-San?
>>
>>7953738
stop the pussy footing and post it already
>>
POST A PAGE AND LET US DECIDE WHAT WE HAVE HERE

WE CANT GIVE ADVICE WITHOUT SEEING WHAT THIS SHIT IS
>>
>>7954135
i don't think so, considering he has posted several threads by now that have gone way over 100 posts.
>>
>>7953797
Holy fuck this delusion.

Get off yourself, your idea is in all likelihood not even original, much less as profound as you make it out to be.

If there's a creative writing class that's so "beneath you" just like the publisher you threatened, the environment will be similar no? Study up on your enemy before you pick a fight with another publisher.
>>
>all these people getting baited this hard.
It's not real.
He's a troll.
>>
>>7955528
Check the archive niqqa, meme-oire guy has posted here plenty
>>
>>7953738
Ignatius J. Reilly, is that you?
>>
this guy might just be dare i say it the real bona fried the real deal
>>
>reading a paragraph of what this guy wrote and not realising it's bait
>>
>>7953858
livejournal exists for people like you.

by the way: frequent bans should be sending you a very clear message, but if frequent rejections from a publisher didn't do that then perhaps you should look to Ted Kazynski for inspiration.
>>
This thread is art.
>>
>>7955535
doesn't mean he's for real though.
>>
OP here. I have read through the replies posted after my departure from this thread last night. If anybody else has any suggestions I will continue reading them and taking them into consideration.
>>
>>7956087
Fuck off retard. You always post this shit and never even post an extract.
To new posters: This guy is a retarded autistic roleplayer, REPORT and HIDE his threads.
>>
>>7956098
In case you did not read the opening post of this thread, I plan on posting far more than an extract in the very near future, and with no demand for monetary reward in return.
>>
>>7956111
What makes you think anyone would read even half a page of your shit? Fuck off already. Nobody cares, only retards who want to play along and are amuzed by your inane shitposting.
>>
>>7956122
The confidence I have placed in my writing is such that I am sure that anybody possessing of a sensitive disposition (necessary for all artists and those who are capable of consuming art properly) and a keen intellect will acknowledge the purity of my expression and my capacity to convey imagery and emotion in a way that serves to benefit the reader's life and mental disposition. My work, as I have stated previously, is essentially an act of benevolence on my part, and since I have dedicated my life to what my be called "my art", I am convinced that, like the great Masters of old, I too will carry the torch and bear the burden of artistic genius in the contemporary age.

If you, or anybody else, desires to see examples of my previous posts on this and other boards in order to read examples of my writing (though not in relation to my debut memoir) I will, if interest is sincerely expressed, find numerous examples of what I have written here in the warosu archive should the site still be running. This Anon [ >>7954137 ] is true to an extent, in that I have in the past adopted certain personalities for the sake of an individual thread, though that was largely to aid my fiction writing.
>>
>>7956152
Where do you live m8? I'll fuck you up, no joke
>>
>>7953738
Not if you title it Dumb Frogposter: A Life In Six Parts.

We would also accept Six Chapters of a Dumb Frogposter.
>>
>>7956224
The title will be "Anonymous"
>>
>>7956152
Dear Sir,

I would be most grateful if you would only deign to bless us with examples of your past work on this website. I know that for a shining poet such as yourself, with such a grand depth of experience, my gratitude must be but a speck, a crumb, as it were, in your existential field of vision. Nevertheless, it is all I, a mere admirer, have to offer you in return for your immeasurably magnanimous efforts. Your posts thus far, in their eloquence and biting sincerity, have opened passages in my soul that have yet to be explored. I know that this is just a prefiguring of what will come when I am finally able to read your life's work, for which I wait in utmost anticipation.

Thank you; I repeat, thank you for all you have done and have yet to do. You are the saviour this board needed.
>>
>My mommy has yet again entered one of her moods and has been attempting to gain access to my bedroom all day in the hope of persuading me to go to work with the husband of one of her colleagues who I gather works at some sort of construction site.
> My mommy

Quite hard to take you seriously but just post an extract so I can see for myself if it's truly a work of art.
>>
>>7956463
Thank you for your praise and the eloquent way in which you offered it.

Here are a handful of posts I have recently made which, in lieu of publishing my memoir, provide at least a sense of my style of expression and the emotional response they demand from those reading them, occasionally to the point of their being copied and pasted in subsequent threads by other users:

1. >>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S4280483#p4281338
2. >>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7233704
3. >>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7126670#p7126953
4. >>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7769494
5. >>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7066114
6. >>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7470428

I should note that many if not most of the bans I have received, mostly three days in length, are not a result of posting on this board but rather my posting the same thread almost daily for around three years on /mu/, despite the thread being music-related if only in part. I was also banned permanently on at least three occasions, though luckily I either moved address or was posting at the time from a temporary location. My fear is that by posting at a similar rate here I will be banned permanently from one of the only two locations I frequent, those locations being my home and the local public library.
>>
File: damn.png (72 KB, 1248x446) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
72 KB, 1248x446
>>7956784

you sound really fake to be honest. half your posts are meek and pathetic while in the other half you claim to be "ethically flawless" and some sort of an alpha (post in the picture related).

why don't you let your work speak for you and post an excerpt?
>>
What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7956784
You are a man of talent and a visionary. The versatility of your characters, each nevertheless presented in the utmost verisimilitude, shows me that you are also a man of much experience.

I dare say, your story has struck a chord in my heart, a melancholy and yet defiant chord that captures the essence of the striving artist in ways that words cannot express. Your writings display a perspicacity that most are not capable of and, when confronted with it, are not even capable of understanding. Alas, the artist's fate is to be perpetually misunderstood. We few who search our hearts and our minds for the most poignant expressions of human sentiment, only to be put down by the endless queue of critics and levelers; we suffer insults worthy of the greatest indignation, and yet we bare them with immeasurable courage. Et qu'est-ce que cela nous rend?
Only the satisfaction of creating cultures, histories, worlds! Seminary ideas stride like an ardent stallion in a flurry of words down the pages, through the volumes and into the minds of our readers. Understanding or not, they are swayed like so many leaves on an idle tree as the wind expresses its burning passion for change. Upon gilded clouds we sit, armed with a pen and our wit, dictating the course of the days of our lives, and the lives that come infinitely after. My friend, c'est ça notre devoir et notre plaisir! And long may it go on, for our spirit shall never tire.

Adieu, mon ami, I wish you well in your future endeavours.
>>
>>7956784
Fool
>>
>>7953738
>permanently banned
kek. The only way they can ban you is from your IP address (which can be renewed).
Just spam critique breads with parts of your work. That is what they're there for.
>>
>>7953738

I hope this is an /r9k/ poster and the last words are "this was a suicide note".
>>
>>7954092
>anime poster

Goddamn fucking jump off a bridge.
>>
>>7956784
Dear Anon,

I fear that my handle of the English language is nothing but pathetic dribble compared to your stunning eloquence. Please, if you can, look over this, and listen to my message.

I love you. I love you more than I have loved any poster on /lit/--nay, more than I have loved any person on this godforsaken, terrible, yet utterly mystifying, shockingly beautiful Earth. It is not my intention to provide satire, or sarcasm, or humor. I am not exaggerating about my affection for you. My words are true. What you inspire in me is unlike anything I have ever felt before. Your posts bring great joy into my life, so much that even the curse I call 'depression' that threatens to dissolve me everyday fades away into nothingness. Every post you have linked has been one of my favorite posts on /lit/. I would even say that all of my favorite posts in /lit/ have been written by you--you, with your sensitive heart, mind, and soul. Knowing you exist and witnessing your unbelievable talent is the greatest gift I could possibly receive. Please do not let the scathing remarks of other anons on this board hurt you or convince you to believe you are a lesser being than what you really, truly are. They are jealous, upset. They cannot bear to see such a pure being in a world of cruelty. You are fragile. Endlessly so, in fact. But this is what makes you beautiful. This is why, whenever I see you and your whimsical, endearing, endlessly intelligent and touching posts, I find renewed hope for both myself and other people. Thank you for this. Thank you for everything that you do. I know nothing I can do can repay your generosity--as I said before, my words are mere play compared to yours, and my sensitivity bitter insensitivity compared to your delicate disposition. Still, I hope that this post, even with its extremely flawed nature, can express even a single percent of all that I feel for you.

Thank you, Anon. I wish you luck in everything that you do.
>>
>>7956784
>posting the same thread almost daily for around three years on /mu/
>>
>>7953738

You're a top tier troll man. Amazing commitment to the part.

Either that, or you're the guy who really hates Knausgård and this is some real subtle hate.
>>
>>7959981
>Knausgård

*tips fedora*
>>
>>7954092
Have you had any luck getting published yet Gaskun?
>>
>>7954092
oh look its the illiterate autist who thinks his shitty genre fic has value

kek

>>7961341
ofc not LOL
>>
i think this thread is metafiction
>>
You sound like a pretentious pseudo intellectual OP.

That's if you're not a troll, which I'll assume you are. Publish your pleb tier scribblings on Amazon.
>>
>>7953797
Oh, I get it, your memeing.
>>
>>7953797
>he changed fuck to heck
>>
I thought this was bait at first but OP is way to dedicated. This is some 4-star autistic shit.
>>
>>7961884
It's autistic bait.
>>
>>7954092
quality>quantity
>>
File: 1461357851184.png (103 KB, 298x283) Image search: [Google]
1461357851184.png
103 KB, 298x283
>>7961872
Holy shit, I missed that.
>>
>>7961884
Maybe it's a combination of both. Like, maybe he has the ability to hold back his autism but decided to intentionally let it free in order to bait people for attention.
>>
>>7961872
top kek
>>
>>7960035
or maybe he's from Nårwæyo
>>
>>7953858
4chan is an imageboard so you should post them as 1-page images
>>
Post the first page already so we can see what condition you're in.
>>
>>7953738
Are you the guy who wanted to dress up as a delivery guy and sneak his manuscript into a publishers inside a pizza box?
>>
>>7961663
oh nooo
>>
>>7956978
I think that's just a list of personas they've adopted previously:

>I have in the past adopted certain personalities for the sake of an individual thread, though that was largely to aid my fiction writing.
>>
>>7956784
/mu/tant here

which thread did you "post on /mu/ every day"?

are you tropical curtains?
>>
>>7962375
Yep it's him.
>>
File: shitposting.jpg (17 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.jpg
17 KB, 265x265
fuck all you morons in this thread for encouraging this twat to shitpost. how anyone can be stupid enough to buy this bait is beyond me. OP hasn't posted any excerpt and this disingenuous faggot has spun a life story that somehow has you convinced in a thread that has nothing to do with literature on a literature board. bunch of retards.
>>
>>7962799
I think these posts are the work, and honestly it's a pretty entertaining one.
>>
>>7962799
>thread that has nothing to do with literature

Memoirs are /lit/
>>
>>7962799
a bunch of us called it bait. i called it bait in the 7th post. a bunch of people are simply playing along with it.

this thread is less worse than the mu, r9k, pol, tv, and plebbit posting we're now overrun with.
>>
OP here.

I have just read the wikipedia entry for Augusten Burroughs (Christopher Richter Robison) and this page has once again made me somewhat fearful:

>"In August 2007, Burroughs and his publisher, St. Martin's Press, settled with the Turcotte family, who stated that they were the basis for the Finch family portrayed in Running with Scissors. The Turcottes, who alleged that Running with Scissors was largely fictional[9] and written in a sensational manner, sought damages of $2 million for invasion of privacy, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusten_Burroughs

I have asked this question previously but I ask it again now in the hope that anybody working in or knowledgeable about the legal industry can explain the laws regarding defamation etc. in the case of a memoir which includes the full, legal names of existing individuals, many of whom would likely not be at all comfortable in having their lives written about, especially not by someone as keenly perceptive and insightful as myself. Neither I nor my mommy possess anywhere near the $2million mentioned in the above wikipedia article. Could I reasonably avoid such issues by simply using the "replace all" function to change their names to fictional names?
>>
>>7962919
no one cares you twat. either post an excerpt or get the fuck off this board.

saged.
>>
>>7953797
There is certainly value in taking creative writing courses. They teach you the rules of language and narrative, and then it is up to you to figure out how much to diverge from these rules and create something both original and technically proficient.

Can I ask you why it is that you think people will want to read your memoirs? I don't mean any ill-intent, but Knausgaard, whose footsteps I assume you're following, is published because he has an original and thought provoking perspective on everyday life, which is usually mundane. Do you offer that in your writing? Because unless that is the case, or alternatively you have achieved something notable, I'm afraid that no one will care about your autobiography. Ask yourself if you would read it in its entirety. You might think you're an unsung genius, but unless you have physical, tangible evidence of that, then how can we know that?
>>
>>7962930
I contest your initial opinion but accept that you have every right to maintain it.

Knausgaard is an interesting writer though his work suffers from an excess of novelty and too little emotional intensity. I assure you that my own ability to articulate the subtle beauty underlying the most mundane aspects of life is acute and awesome, largely as a result of my keenly observational nature and my intense longing to uncover or truly grasp the meaning of all aspects of my perceived existence. The reasons people should (I say should and not will as my research into the lives of the great Masters of literature has informed me that many are destined to suffer obscurity during their own lifetime) read and benefit from my memoir are too numerous for a single post but in brief my profound self-awareness and emotional range, coupled with my laborious self-analysis, mean that anybody who reads my work and is able to acknowledge its genius will not only be entertained but also will view our shared reality through the eyes and via the mental disposition of an individual they will undoubtedly come to appreciate despite his (my) various flaws and weaknesses, in short I will reveal a human being in their entirety, narrating their (me) development both physical, mental and social from my conception to the point at which I begin writing the work which will I hope earn me a place within the canon.
>>
>>7961956
>>7961917

I'm not sure if this is an elaborately creative troll or we have a new potential Unabomber on our hands. I'll be watching how this develops.
>>
>>7954092
>>7958081
>GitS
>Skullcandy
>Redbull

I don't even want to know.
>>
>>7963040
I have read Theodore Kaczynski's "Industrial Society and Its Future" in addition to his short story "Ship of Fools" and his letters to various individuals who have found reason to write to him in prison. My own criticisms of society are by no means as angry and presumptive as his own, and though a return to the state of nature would undoubtedly benefit a mind as cultured and refined and therefore burdened as my own I am willing to bear this burden for the sake of my art.
>>
>>7956978
Oh, it's this guy.
>>
OP is a sort of prophet. He is gifted with the very rare capacity to perceive the world with an unrivaled degree of sensitivity. And he has the talent to convey his perceptions to us. This is what certain people have trouble accepting. They do not want to be told of the world as it is, nor of the suffering of all human beings, torn between their aspirations and reality. With devastating humor, and with lyrical touches capable of reaching the depths of the soul, he creates real characters, who live at the heart of a real world, today’s world. At first glance, we might believe him to be less concerned with the search for form than with reflection upon the state of the world. Later, we wish to go back to his books, to linger on certain pages... At this point we realize very quickly that his life and his work form a whole, that he puts himself into his art, and that each element, each theme is taken up again and developed in a later work. There is a certain coherence inherent not only in his work, but also in his various modes of production. He is not satisfied with the game of appearances. He is out to create a universe, and this universe has a meaning.
>>
>>7963028
I need to see substantially-sized excerpts from your work before I can critique it, and to figure out whether you're a troll or not. If so, you're very persistent.

But I'll assume for the time being that you are completely serious, and that there is indeed a manuscript of 600k words saved onto your computer, unless you use a typewriter, which would be the icing on the cake.

Your writing style embodies pretension. I actually saw what I assume is the introduction to your first volume, in which you claimed to have experienced three existential crises by the age of 19- whatever that means. I also read your argument in favour of NEETdom.

You use big words where a small word would fit better. The only aim I can discern from your style is that you want to let the reader know how large your vocabulary is. It has no other effect on me. The fact you have a big vocabulary means nothing to the reader either. Older writers wrote in that way because they wanted to communicate something which could not have been said in simple language. Write with more of a focus on the actual substance of what you are saying, as opposed to reaching for the thesaurus every minute because you feel 'self-sufficient' is too pedestrian when compared to 'auto-didact.'

And let's just get on the same page here- you think you're a genius, obviously. What have you done in your life that is of more value than that which a doctor or engineer does, for example? I don't have the capacity to be either cause I'm a dumbcunt, but at least I recognise that I have less social worth on most levels. What have you done that has affected humanity in such a significant way that we should praise your lifestyle?

Fuck, you are baiting aren't you
>>
>>7963170
It is not saved on my computer, but instead on multiple USB devices as I do much of my work at the local public library and can't save anything on the computers they allow me to use.

I have released no introduction to my first or any subsequent volumes. The posts I linked to this thread were, as I stated, attempts to adopt a fictional character and have others both be entertained by said character and also believe that they were real. I contest your point about my vocabulary. I use only those words which are provided to my conscious mind by my subconscious, my subconcious having filtered the dozens of potential words I could use and supplying the one which best fits the purpose of the sentence and which allows me to articulate myself most accurately, and a word my conscious mind then analyses and considers before including it in a sentence. My writing is often as concise as that of Raymond Carver, James Salter or any other writer known for their adherence to the Minimalist aesthetic. I assure you that having no thesaurus at hand I only consult the archive of my subconscious in order to select the words I write, though the very fact you are under the impression that a thesaurus is used to aid my work is somewhat reassuring.

As for your rather droll remark about doctors and engineers and men in funny hats I contest once more your notion of "value" and assert that Vincent Van Gogh produced more "valuable" work despite having no job (after the age of twenty-seven) and earning little money during his lifetime. He is one of countless examples I can offer to rebut your rather naive and narrow-minded accusation. You should not attempt to remedy your lack of self-esteem by attempting to reduce mine also. My confidence and self-belief are the rewards of a great inner labour on my part, and there have been times when only myself and my mommy have trusted that my life will one day meet my very high standards for success, but even then I maintained a resilient perception of my own abilities. An artist has no obligation to humanity, only to the truth.
>>
>>7963232
For the love of God, just post the smallest excerpt. Take a passage and post it. I've heard about this book for so long that I'm almost beginning to be convinced this is a hype campaign.
>>
>>7963252
He hasn't written anything beyond the threads. There's nothing to post. This is performance art.
>>
>>7963232
But if Van Gogh did not exist, someone else would have taken his place. Where would we be without anti-biotics and the PC that you're communicating through? These are things we need. I don't think that we 'need' art- it's a luxury, not a necessity. Art has, however, probably inspired many of the people making the world a better place. But right now, in this very moment, you are being physically affected in a positive way by scientific innovation. If all physical manifestation of Van Gogh's legacy disappeared, the world would be similar to it's current state. The same would probably apply to your memoirs, and no one has even read them besides you. So you can't say that your art has inspired anyone, or accomplished anything worthwhile. Can you say the same for the inventor of the computer chip, or some vaccines, or chair you're sitting on?

Everyone has different talents, and I'm glad that you've supposedly found yours. but not everyone can be a NEET with the time to create great art. Otherwise the world wouldn't function. Give your ego a break, because you are literally worthless, and I don't mean that as an insult.
>>
>>7963286
>>>/sci/
>>
>>7953844
Suuuuuure...
>>
>>7963344
What are you doubting here?
>>
>>7956152
Why are you writing like a Victorian?
>>
>>7963444
I am writing plainly and accurately, articulating what I mean in the best manner possible.
>>
>>7963490
Do you have a favorite book and/or author? I'd like to know more about you.
>>
>>7955528
Trolling /lit/ is easier than stealing candy from a baby, because the baby might actually try to hold on to the candy.
>>
>>7962919
Legal expert here.

According to the Myers Act of 1874, it is fair practice to use real names in any publication as long as, in each instance of a name being mentioned in a context that may be perceived as being of a disparaging or slanderous nature, you place a footnote expressing a compliment to the individual(s) bearing the aforementioned name that is equal or greater in proportion to the insult that was directed towards the name in its original use. Making use of this mandate is obviously tiresome, takes up a lot of room, and may interrupt the flow of the writing, which is why the vast majority of authors choose to use fictional names in their works.

As for the $2million, according to my knowledge of such cases the defendant is only liable for paying the full sum if the revenue received from the publication that is referred to in the charges exceeds 50% of the agreed upon sum. Now, for most authors this is a saving grace, since they are not likely to make so much money off of a single publication. Judging, however, from the quality of your prose and the depth of insight you have displayed consistently thus far, I'm afraid you could get yourself in trouble in this regard, so to speak. Normally I would advise you to seek a competent lawyer but, noting your prodigious intellect, I would wager that with a bit of research into the relevant laws in your spare time you would be able to represent yourself adequately should any legal complications arise. I say this with the utmost sincerity, because although it may seem premature, I have complete faith in your abilities and your conviction.
>>
>>7964360
>your spare time

niqqa all this neet faggot got is spare time
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.