[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has browsing lit improved your conversational ability?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: 1468377156183.jpg (75 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1468377156183.jpg
75 KB, 640x640
Has browsing lit improved your conversational ability?
>>
>conversation
>>
>>8294589
Reading has enabled me to speak more confidently about literature and philosophy.

No one wants to hear it though
>>
Yes, I am now able to shut them down at the opening the mouth stage with only my librarian stare and nearly half of all cases will close it again without my raised eyebrow. I hope to make ascended patrician master status by the end of summer where I shall be able to silence entire train station tea rooms by merely once fingering the next page of my reading loudly in displeasure.
>>
>>8294607
Be a teacher or something, people might want to hear you
>>
Just my vocabulary
>>
>>8294630
No it's because I'm a piece of shit

Wouldn't put the kids through that
>>
>>8294589
I can absolutely destroy the average person in a discussion/debate/argument about almost anything. I don't even have to be right, this place has sharpened me to such a high degree of effectiveness I can pick people's arguments apart with cold precision, attacking them not only where their arguments are weak but where I know it will hurt them most mentally and emotionally and they will stop challenging me because they can no longer afford the psychological cost of doing so.

short answer: no, I'm a fucking asshole now, thanks guys.
>>
>>8294649
your comma use is juvenile, and your sentence length female.
>>
>>8294649
>nothing personnel kid
>>
>>8294665
>not being a top rhetorician
>>
>>8294661
>your sentence length female

Kek
patrician-tier insult
>>
>>8294589
I just learned that I was already good at it.
>>
>>8294687
>not being able to gently present and explain your views to the ignorant, instead of hurting their feelings and driving people away.
>>
I don't know - I don't remember the last time I had a proper conversation.
>>
4chan actually worsened it, i'm too much of an shy introvert nowadays
>>
>>8294713
>t. liberal
>>
>>8294589
No. I've become too reliant on fedora picks, smug green text replies and t. to use it irl.
>>
>>8294732
t. burger
>>
>>8294740
>he doesn't throw meme arrows with his hands
laughing at you rn
>>
Before /lit

>hey
>"sup"
>how y'doing?
>"doing great, and you?"
>good, how's the family?
>"they're doing fine, sister just got an a+"
>I'm glad. Well see ya later
>"later!"

After lit

>Good evening!
>"sup"
>How are you doing in these troubled time of ours?
>"what? uhm, good"
>I could not be more happy for you, dear fellow
>"Why are you ripping the pages of my dan brown books?"
>I am glad you ask. It is a service for the community! While I was walking down the streets under the starry skies I figured you, a fellow friend and as dear as can be, would wish to stop losing time, the most dearest of treasures, and you could start to spend your time on a most honorable activity!
>"We hate you "
>>
File: ddb.png (449 KB, 576x792) Image search: [Google]
ddb.png
449 KB, 576x792
>>8294746
t. autist
>>
>>8294732
>not realizing that arguing against liberals is when you need to consider your opponent's feelings the most
>>
>>8294747
>most dearest
everyone's allowed hate you
>>
>>8294747
>"they're doing fine, sister just got an a+"
Do people really do this? I don't give a fuck about your sister's grades. Chances are you don't give a fuck about my sister's grades either. I don't even give a fuck - I don't even know what kind of grades she gets.
But then again, I'm always told that I speak too little of myself, so what do I know.
>>
>>8294782
fucking normies amirite??

REEE xD
>>
>>8294589
Does shitposting count as a conversation if I get replies?
>>
>>8294788
Yes, I am autistic, but I don't blame anyone else for not being like that. Sometimes I like to think I know how normal people operate for the most part, but it never seems to really be the case.
fucking shitstain normalfag go kill yourself
>>
>>8294661
>anyone cares about syntax on this Cambodian basket weaving website
you're just testing my claims at rhetoric by reaching for the lowest hanging fruit, and you aren't doing a very good job of it.

>>8294665
yeahhh I knew it sounded Reddit as fuck right around
>cold precision
but I just kept going. fuck it

>>8294713
thanks for chewing my food and feeding it back to me, mama bird
>>
>>8294782
ok but how are your sister's grades though?
>>
Yes, thanks to /lit/ I was able to BTFO a friend of mine last week. He asked me: "What do you think about Tolstoy, bro? I've just finished reading Anna Karenina and I think it's one of the best novels of all time". I said "Even though I'm quadrilingual (English, French, German and Spanish), I do not speak Russian, therefore I've not read Tolstoy. Only stupid people read translations. I'll never read Dante, Pessoa, Blecher, Tolstoy, Schulz, Hrabal, Kosztolányi, Ōe, Hikmet, Petronius, Plato and the Bible until I learn Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Japanese, Turkish, Latin, Greek, biblical Hebrew and biblical Aramaic. So, no, you haven't read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. You read a P&V's retelling of Anna Karerina, you fucking pleb. And a P&V's retelling of Anna Karerina will never be one of the best novels of all time.
>>
>>8294852
heh
>>
yeah for sure
>>
>>8294852
Friendly reminder that translation plebs literally and unironically read for the plot
>>
>>8294833
>>anyone cares about syntax on this Cambodian basket weaving website
>using a syntactical joke to destroy your own argument against caring about syntax on a semiotics based dream hallucination and news database
>hoping the users don't like low hanging fruit
so you are female. you can just post tits if you want to tell us instead of writing long ass reddittier sentences. show don't tell and all that.
>>
>>8294649
>Go on autistic rant.
>Person quiets down when they realize what's going on.
>Heh. Sure showed them.
>>
i can hardly have a conversation with people i dont know (a very small number) unless im drunk.
>>
>>8294649
*tips fedora*
>>
File: 6ba.jpg (22 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
6ba.jpg
22 KB, 540x540
>>8294630
no

>"Most readers," says the Manuscript of Mr Pattieson, "must have witnessed with delight the joyous burst which attends the dismissing of a village-school on a fine summer evening. The buoyant spirit of childhood, repressed with so much difficulty during the tedious hours of discipline, may then be seen to explode, as it were, in shout, and song, and frolic, as the little urchins join in groups on their play-ground, and arrange their matches of sport for the evening. But there is one individual who partakes of the relief afforded by the moment of dismission, whose feelings are not so obvious to the eye of the spectator, or so apt to receive his sympathy. I mean the teacher himself, who, stunned with the hum, and suffocated with the closeness of his school-room, has spent the whole day (himself against a host) in controlling petulance, exciting indifference to action, striving to enlighten stupidity, and labouring to soften obstinacy; and whose very powers of intellect have been confounded by hearing the same dull lesson repeated a hundred times by rote, and only varied by the various blunders of the reciters. Even the flowers of classic genius, with which his solitary fancy is most gratified, have been rendered degraded, in his imagination, by their connexion with tears, with errors, and with punishment; so that the Eclogues of Virgil and Odes of Horace are each inseparably allied in association with the sullen figure and monotonous recitation of some blubbering school-boy. If to these mental distresses are added a delicate frame of body, and a mind ambitious of some higher distinction than that of being the tyrant of childhood, the reader may have some slight conception of the relief which a solitary walk, in the cool of a fine summer evening, affords to the head which has ached, and the nerves which have been shattered, for so many hours, in plying the irksome task of public instruction."

Sir Walter Scott, Old Mortality
>>
>>8294649
I assume this post is some sort of ironic internet ruse.
>>
>>8294634
Stop being a piece of shit, or at least learn how to act. You'll realise being a piece of lovely smelling organic matter comes more naturally.
>>
>>8294852
Jej
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.