[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleb: The Website enjoy laughing at literal retards https://
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Pleb: The Website
enjoy laughing at literal retards
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4teozs/have_you_ever_had_to_stop_reading_a_novel_because/
>>
Jesus, that place is fucked beyond belief, but you are more of a pleb for linking that fucking cancer over here.
>>
>Thus Spoke Zarathurstra for me. Was interested in philosophy but man, that is rough to start at.
>>
i'm glad you guys are laughing, it depressed the hell out of me knowing 90% of the people i know or meet everyday who cite reading as a hobby are like this.

it's as if they want me to be some sort of snob for reading "serious literature" without complaint when i just want someone else of a similar standard to talk to.

things can get discouraging.
>>
I shouldn't encourage literal reddit threads but I actually stopped reading sartor resartus after the first few pages, it looked like a heavy read so i opted out for now.

Also The notebooks of malte briggs I couldn't understand a fair chunk, the things rainer maria discusses are almost so beyond normal human thought I imagine i'd have to either be very sensitive to the world around me or somewhat proficient in philosophy. Didn't stop reading it but it was hard.
>>
>>8294055
its the same with anything really
>i love movies!
translation: finding dory and jurassic world are the two best films ive ever seen! netflix is great! I've seen fight club 12 times!

>i'm such a nerd!
translation: i read lotr/watched naruto/enjoy harry potter

>my hobby is reading :)
translation: Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace is the apex achievement of the 21st century.
>>
>I'm so depressed that people aren't as smart as I am. Boy am I smart compared to others. It's so sad I'm the only genius who managed to plod through a few books

From reddit to here is just substituting one brand of glaring delusion for another, generally speaking
>>
>>8293570
>inb4 DFW's magnum opus
>>
>>8294073
>>8294055
I agree somewhat, but you can't expect someone to have read book or seen every movie, especially at younger ages.
What gets me about these people is their arrogance. they think they are actually film buffs or whatever and are very opinionated as a result. There's nothing wrong with not knowing much about your preferred artform (having 'entry-level' tastes) as long as you have the right attitude (keeping an open mind , acknowledging that your knowledge might be lacking).
>>
File: skeleton drinking.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
skeleton drinking.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
What the fuck ever happened to effort.

I guess this is what happens when you live in a society where you can access anything at any time. At that point, why bother committing to something when you can get instant gratification at any time?
>>
>>8294118
that's just it though, they think they are film buffs
there is no self-awareness
at all
>>
>>8293570
Well, at least he's honest, right g-guys?...
>>
>>8293570
Huysmans is so far above me I cant even see the top. I also have real problems with Kant, and the density of George Eliot and the prose of Faulkner provide real challenges for me. I also took a 500 lvl course on Shakespeare which showed me some deep faults in my ability to understand Shakespeare allegorically.

It may be that I dont have much imagination, but experimental literature has zero effect on me. Invisible Cities was easy enough to read but I got nothing out of it, and Gödel, Escher, Bach was insanely difficult.

The people that dont get Moby Dick, Blood Meridian, or 100 years of Solitude are def plebs though.
>>
>7000 comments

My goodness.
>>
File: plebbit ethos.png (12 KB, 1449x114) Image search: [Google]
plebbit ethos.png
12 KB, 1449x114
>>8293570
>>
>>8293570

he was a kid you dolt. I tried GR in the 11th grade and almost had an aneurism because I thought it was bad.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.