[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to block out every single sound in your environment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 71cu8nSpU7L._SL1500_.jpg (215 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71cu8nSpU7L._SL1500_.jpg
215 KB, 1500x1500
Is there a way to block out every single sound in your environment when you're reading? Maybe sound isolating ear muffs? That's really the only thing I can imagine working. I want to totally block out every single sound around me, because I get very distracted.
>>
You will never block out the internal sound

Wearing yhose would only make your breathing even more distracting
>>
>>8293469
There's children and construction outside of my house all the time. I would much rather hear monotonous, repetitive sounds that come from my own breathing and pulse than the shreaks of my neighbor's children.
>>
I use cheap sound-isolating earmuffs, and I love them. To block out virtually everything, you'll have to pay more, but I usually put on my regular headphones underneath the muffs and turn on some white noise.

I don't hear myself breathing with them on. I don't see how you would unless you huff like a Neanderthal.
>>
>>8293485
>I don't hear myself breathing with them on. I don't see how you would unless you huff like a Neanderthal.
this. my breathing is so light, it doesn't really make any noticeable sound.
>>
>>8293467
Yeah but then you'd be stuck listening to your thoughts which is the most distracting factor
>>
>>8293574
Utter nonsense. In that case everything will be distracting. My own thoughts, the noises around me, I may as well not read. If a person's thoughts weren't able to be ignored anyways, then someone should practice ignoring them and having a longer attention span. External noises are a factor which should be dealt with.
>>
If you are engrossed in reading you wouldn't hear them. You are not trying to block out the sounds, you are trying to block out what the sounds represent.

Also, learn to hum.
>>
>>8293594
That's not how having ADD works.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>8293467
get some of pic related, OP, and use them together with your pic. The ones that are made of some sort of flexible silicone or wax seem to be the best.
>>
Closed headphones give me vertigo, can't use them.
>>
>>8293467

Earplugs, muffs, etc. can block only up to a certain noise rating, and they don't filter sources of sound entirely, they just diminish them. If someone is running a chainsaw or bulldozer, or shooting off firearms within vicinity to you, you're going to hear something.

There's also no way to filter vibrations within your environment, which is going to be especially annoying if someone is running heavy machinery such as construction equipment.

Best you can do is try to drown out unwanted sources of sound by creating white noise in your environment. A heavy-duty fan might work.
>>
>>8293624
>ultimate comfort for women
do women have differently shaped ear canals?
>>
File: tdih-dec23-HD_still_624x352.jpg (39 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
tdih-dec23-HD_still_624x352.jpg
39 KB, 624x352
>>8293467
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.