[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ Wanna get into some Philosophy. Who should I start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg (18 KB, 306x450) Image search: [Google]
149188-004-E9F3D5B9.jpg
18 KB, 306x450
Hey /lit/ Wanna get into some Philosophy. Who should I start with? Some Greek niggas?
>>
Plato's dialogs, of course.
>>
>>8293182

No, he should really start with the pre-socratics.
>>
>>8293195
No. He should start with Plato, and then move on to the pre-socratics.
>>
>>8293195
no, somebody wanting to "get into some" philosophy should absolutely not start with the presocratics
>>
Try reading paul feyerabend's three dialogues on knowledge
>>
>>8293180
The first and most important thing is buying batty boy de botton's philosophers jumper.
>>
>>8293180
Ion, meno, euthyphro, apology, credo, Phaedo, symposium, republic.

The first six are short the next is a long short story and the last is actually book length.
>>
>>8293180
There are a lot of greeks before Plato. If you aim to capture the greek way of thinking, start with Hesiodus. He wrote two great works, the "erga kai hemerai" (works and days), which contains some common sense philosophy, and the the theogony, the origin of the gods. In this book he sings about the origins of the world, the power struggles amongst the gods and finally the reign of Zeus. You shouldn't miss that.

Concerning younger authors, I recommend Thukydides, Xenophon and Epicurus. Xenophon wrote a book about the education of young Kyros. Epicurus was a hippy philosopher, later badmouthed by the stoa-squares.
>>
File: Sophie'sWorld.jpg (723 KB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
Sophie'sWorld.jpg
723 KB, 1400x2100
Sophie's World, maybe
>>
Professor Sugrue takes interpretation of the Dialogues to a new place. It is almost as if these characters were his intimates and he is reporting events as he witnessed them. This is truly excellent work

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/plato-socrates-and-the-dialogues.html
>>
>>8293180
https://twitter.com/officialjaden
>>
>>8293180
Read the following Greeks:
Heraclitus
Protagoras
Gorgias
(the other Sophists if you want)
Then move onto Nietzsche, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Derrida, Rorty etc.. Maybe stop over a bit for Hume.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should one attempt to read Plato without first obtaining a grasp of exactly how he poisoned European thought for ~2500 years. Failure to heed this warning will put you in grave danger of falling into the trap of believing there is such a concept as 'metaphysical truth'. Our society is only just now recovering from this insidious delusion.
>>
>>8294102
>butthurt sophist detected
enjoy selling things you did not earn
>>
>>8293180
read the fucking sticky
>>
>>8293647
TTC is an absolute god send. It makes me enjoy the Greeks so much more, be it Homer, Plato, the Tragedians or Aristotle. It is things like the TTC that truly symbolize the greatness of the internet age and the >free traffic of information and ideas.
>>
>>8294102
>Our society is just now recovering from this insidious delusion

The only person here who is seriously delusional is you sophist shit. Look up on natural law if you at least want to get near something resembling humanity.
>>
>>8293195
That comes with reading Plato and especially Aristotle.
>>
>>8294102
>and other sophist
Diogenes have greatly criticized sophism and made it a point to fuck up Plato's lectures. I do believe that good education should be made free because the professors have made it free, teaching on their own free time and their own passion for their subjects. Sophism is what's wrong with higher education in the US, UK and many parts of Europe. "Free" education that is actually only subsidized and socialized education like the US public school system is even more rotten that its sophist brother.

I have yet to see a university protest where professors marched with their students about this. It's all about "Bernie's free college plan". I shiver at the thought of how higher education will become a bigger public school system for bigger children.
>>
>>8293572
>Epicurus
I love me some epicureanism, but no. Don't read Epicurus 'til you're already steeped in it. Specially because all of his shit is incomplete and lost forever.

Read Lucretius to get a primer on Epicurus.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.