[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are children of writers almost always so shit? wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: b5247444.jpg (286 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
b5247444.jpg
286 KB, 1024x1024
Why are children of writers almost always so shit? wouldn't they be given the tricks of the trade and know what it takes ? or is this all pre determined from birth
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>8293155
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/26/norman-mailer-possessions_n_854044.html

Norman Mailer's kids are notorious shitters.

Pic related is Stephen King's daughter
>>
This seqway looks epic. Where can I buy it ?
>>
>>8293155
probably because writers put more energy into their works than into educating their children, it's always been the case. Even Aristotle commented that Socrates's kids were all stupid losers.
>>
>>8293155
martin amis is not bad
i'm sure there are others
but you should think of it like this: the talent is rare
how about the fathers of the talented?
they were probably bad writers
>>
When you're parent is a famous author it's hard to not let your writing style be defined by theirs, either by subconsciouly emulating it or by consciously doing everything possible to be different from it.
>>
I know how people hate him for milking his dad's posthumous shit, but I really liked Christopher Tolkien's edition work of his dad's Beowulf translation and poetic edda remakes.

And although he is also milking his dad's memory like a vulture, Thompson's son book about living with his dad was still pretty damn good.
>>
I like Joe Hill as a quasi-generic horror writer, it would work well as horror comic books too, very American popcorn.
He was only outed as Stephen King's son after having published 2 books or so.
>>
File: rhianna pratchett.jpg (83 KB, 1140x760) Image search: [Google]
rhianna pratchett.jpg
83 KB, 1140x760
>>
>>8293225
highly unfortunate
>>
>>8293155
children of kings and conquerors have also been shit. explain that.
>>
Writer is rich and the kid doesn't need to work hard for money. You need drive and to spend thousands of hours alone writing to be any good at this. It's probably tough to motivate yourself to do that if you know your parents have millions anyway
>>
these are interesting theories but why does this not apply in music.

there are multiple generations of msuically genius composers
>>
>>8293302

for one, those music offspring are often taught music early, or create music early on their own.

i doubt most writers drill their kids with composition exercises.
>>
>>8293159
is she a priest? I seem to remember she's wheelchair-bound also
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.