[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've already read Faust, Young Werther and Wilhelm Meister's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
I've already read Faust, Young Werther and Wilhelm Meister's Apprentice and my mind hasn't been blown yet. I thought you guys said this guy was good? Did I miss something? Faust was pretty good, but nothing to write home about, and Sorrows is basically Twilight-tier (not even baiting here).
>>
Did you read them in German?
>>
>>8292259
No, but I read the best translations I could get my hands on. Doesn't that count for something?
>>
>>8292269
No.
>>
>>8292270
Fair enough, anon. I've actually been considering taking German classes to read some of the basic texts and classics. I don't plan on achieving fluency or even complex comprehension any time soon, but I do hope to one day read Goethe, Rilke, Mann, Musil and Kafka (I know, different dialect) in their originals.
>>
>>8292255
read them again in a couple years

you lack the intelligence to appreciate them now, Goethe after all was 25 when he published Werther.
>>
>>8292255

>pretty good

Look no offense but if your critique of them is "pretty good" maybe you should re-evaluate yourself not the work.

Also regarding werther.

He initially published the novel anonymously and distanced himself from it in his later years,[2] regretting the fame it had brought him and the consequent attention to his own youthful love of Charlotte Buff. He wrote Werther at the age of twenty-four, and yet this was what some of his visitors in his old age knew him for. He even denounced the Romantic movement as "everything that is sick.
>>
>>8292255
you're a pleb no way around it.

read more. after you read a few hundred "canon" works you'll probably look back on this and feel ashamed
>>
Nah, Goethe isn't all that great really

muh romanticism muh bloo bloo

At least Byron was actually a badass who didnt afraid of anything
>>
Faust is more complex than you're seeing it as
>>
>>8292255
>Faust was pretty good, but nothing to write home about
I'm willing to bet most of it went right over your head.
Don't worry, you're not alone, you have a bunch of German high schoolers on your side.
>>
>>8292255
>Sorrows is basically Twilight-tier

Retard. It's a brilliant satire of the entire Romantic movement
>>
>>8292269
I read Werther in German and it's still basically Twilight.
>>
>>8292282
>I know, different dialect
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>8293776
How can it be a satire of romantic movement when Sorrows of Young Werther literally started the movement?
>>
>>8293836
Because the main character ends up killing himself in the most pathetic and botched way?
>>
>>8293836
There is no reason why it can't. Also most people misunderstood it, a large part of the reason why Goethe distanced himself from it.
>>
One facet of his genius is his collection of maxims and reflection, the dude said everything
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.