[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Ayn Rand and more specifically of Atlas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 662.jpg (185 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
185 KB, 299x475
What does /lit/ think of Ayn Rand and more specifically of Atlas Shrugged.

I am reading it currently and find it to be deeply philosophical and moreover perhaps the best story I've read. However the general lack of disscussion about her or her books on this board seems to be indicative of indifference or dislike. If this is the case; Why is it the case?
>>
>>8292132
FUCK Ayn Rand.
>>
>>8292132
does this thread have to happen every day?
>>
>>8292134
Why? I'm genuinely curious
>>
Apologise.
>>
>>8292132
It is an ill-concieved, poorly executed, and quite badly written comic book, to fill the hole in people who have no philosophy or ethics or morality.

Enjoy.
>>
>TFW this book is in the mail.
>TFW I should have done more research into how bad the book is.
>I thought the story would still be worth it.

Ayn Rand's philosophy is pure trash. She would probably have had no problem with the sub-prime mortage crisis because the bankers were just being self-interested by making shit financial products and getting paid millions to do it.

Alan Greenspan talks at length about how much he loved Ayn Rand in his memoir too. Literally the shittiest philosophy of all time.
>>
"DUDE NO ONE BUT YOU MATTERS THE STATE IS EVIL. CREATION IS SUPREME" - old smoker CANCER lady who stole one of her most popular works, living off your taxes and depending on the state to live
>>
>>8292421
You don't get rands philosophy dingus your arguing Nietzsches
>>
Her philosophy is great but like all philosophies it has flaws and doesn't answer everything, it's hard to find contradictions with her but look hard enough and you will
>>
>>8292132
I can't understand why people would follow her philosophy. It has a few good points, but it seems incredibly naive and impractical, it is much more an ideal than anything else, there's no chance it'll ever be achieved, let alone work.

I also can't understand why people say this book is shit because they disagree with said philosophy.

The story is great and it is well written, and will definitely affect you in some way. I don't know anyone who actually became an Objectivist because of it, but I know people, as well as myself, that felt more compelled to work hard at their jobs and degrees.

The book has its flaws, particularly the third act, but overall it's a really good read if you have the time.

But yeah, people don't seem to like Atlas Shrugged around here. When I finished reading it I was amazed at how divisive it was, though some of the complaints are ridiculous at times.
>>
>>8292421
no rand would have hand waved it as crony capitalism

whenever anything bad happens a wizard waves a magic wand and it's crony capitalism

>>8292886
none of the bankers were ubermensch you pleb
>>
>>8292421
>Implying the state had nothing to do with that
>>
>>8292132
Does anyone think the title is quite clever, given what the book is about?
>>
>>8292888
Her philsophy is inherently broken upon first consideration just like all libertarian ideology

>>8293208
The book is a romantic drivel filled with rape fantasy and the idea that the rich are victims along with an over 50+ page speech to expound muh "philosophy"
>>
>>8292132
Rand is trash-tier rhetoric aimed at 15-year-olds. I know this because I read her at 15 and outgrew her at 16.
>>
>>8293815
>The book is a romantic drivel filled with rape fantasy and the idea that the rich are victims along with an over 50+ page speech to expound muh "philosophy"
I thought the romance was crap. The speech was far too overlong but it was at least well written.

If that's all you have to complain about what about the other 1000+ pages?

No one seems to give a good reason for why the book is bad other than
>I don't like this philosophy
>Strong 'white' males
>Speech
>Fictional writing isn't realistic

If you were going at this book thinking it was just a philosophical textbook then I can understand why you wouldn't like the book. Your dislike is completely down to you in that case though.
>>
>>8293363
it was the states fault for not keeping them on a tighter leash, but the boom/bust cycle is the law of capitalism, no intervention needed
>>
>>8292132
better yet, why is objectionism bad? i cannot think of any reasons. other than gibs me sumsuh dat
>>
>>8294195
>objectionism
>>
>>8294223
>vism

my bad m8.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.