[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I write more than a paragraph or so at a time? I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1467837854018.jpg (325 KB, 1132x800) Image search: [Google]
1467837854018.jpg
325 KB, 1132x800
How do I write more than a paragraph or so at a time? I want to tell stories but the only writing I can manage is, I don't want to say purple, but it tends to be very airy prose. And I don't want to abandon that, but I want to produce something more long form and coherent at the same time.

How do you write stylized prose for extended lengths?
>>
>>8292079
you work harder
>>
Any story worth telling can be told in a sentence.
>>
>>8292079
use storyboards.
make a beat-sheet by laying out the basic story beats(X happens, then Y happens, then these two talk, etc.) Then use that as a guide to keep you writing in a direction by expanding each story beat into the narrative like a checklist.
Don't worry about your prose, finish it first, then edit it once there's something substantial on paper
>>
>>8292081

Of course, and I don't consider myself much anything of a good writer, but I'm seeking direction. Do you know any authors who write highly stylized prose you'd recommend?

>>8292082

I disagree entirely, but then again I am a little long-winded.
>>
>>8292091

Thanks for this, I'll try to work on structuring stuff, but I can't not worry about my prose because that's what motivates me to write. I feel like anything I write just for the sake of content and substance feels hollow and pointless, and that's always where I end up throwing in the towel.
>>
>>8292107
Maybe you don't want to write stories then. Poetry (including prose poetry) or even essaying could be a better route for you
>>
>>8292124

I do consider myself a pretty good essayist. Hmm, maybe you're right... Here, this is a little bit of the kind of writing I'm talking about that I've gotten good feedback on, tell me what you think?

---

The setting sun slipped through a gap in the blinds, and a haze of undusted apathy held the weight of the light in the air. Corpuscular rays. Brownian motion. A furrowed brow and a sigh, and a whiff of sheets that smelled of dead skin.

How many days had been lost in this sketch? Shoes still on; hair unkempt. One leg hung over the edge of a bed bruised by dramatic repetitive flops. Another sigh, this one louder, to push against the pressure of the quiet. Eyes unfocused and mind glazed over. Glasses dangling in a limp and loosening grasp.

When does another day become just another day? When does just another day become tomorrow?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.