[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone explain to me the appeal of this stuff? why is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: darktower.jpg (335 KB, 1600x956) Image search: [Google]
darktower.jpg
335 KB, 1600x956
can someone explain to me the appeal of this stuff?
why is it considered god tier?
I've read the synopsis on wikipedia on all books and it really seems like an incoherent mess... basically it seems that at each chapter a new "random" thing is going on and that there is no coherence to the world, like King threw up every conceivable idea possible in the book.

Is it really like that or is it worth reading?
For instance in the book do they ever explain the lore / setting etc? or do they ever explain why Roland is looking for the dark tower?
or why the tower sends him back in time at the end?
>>
or is this too pleb for lit ?
>>
>>8291221
I think you're probably making too much judgement of the series after reading the wikipedia summary.

It's a bit tangential, really, but not altogether too bad, especially if you like King. I don't know where you heard it's 'God Core', when there' much better genre fiction.
>>
>>8291262
Idk I've always read it's King's magnum opus
I just have a hard time understanding how it can be full fledged when it seems that the books are 500 pages at most, and yet in the summary they cram tons of unrelated concepts where basically every trope of fantasy is present
>>
>>8291221
>like King threw up every conceivable idea possible in the book.

That's most likely what he did. He doesn't like to plan out his stories and instead just makes it up as he writes. Might make for a natural plot progression in his novels (never read em so I dunno) but based on other's responses this makes him terrible at endings and horrible at imagining cohesive fantasy worlds.
>>
The first two books were written during his cocaine and painkillers phase, if I recall correctly. They're fucking amazing. The third and fourth books are really good, written in the early to mid 90s. Between books four and five, he was hit by that van and almost killed. After that, it seems like he rushed the last three books as fast as he could, in order to finish the saga before he died.

There are a lot of cool ideas in the last three books, but it's like he took every possible idea he had and crammed them in without properly fleshing them out first. Castle Discordia, where they cross over from Mid World to End World, is one really awesome part that sticks out in my mind from book seven. He clearly had that part in his head before hand, as it reads like classic King - a slow build up of tension and dread as they navigate pitch-black tunnels deep below an ancient, crumbling castle, using a dwindling supply of sterno jelly to light their way. The rest of it seems very much like he was just moving from plot point to plot point, without bothering to connect them beyond "Then they went here and did this. Then they went there and did that."

The series is worth a read for the first four books. The atmosphere of the first, the great characters and story in the second, the Doorkeeper and Lud sequences from the third, the Blaine scene and descriptions of ancient Gilead in the fourth - these are classic moments in fantasy for me. Five, six and seven are quite forgettable.

For the record, I really liked the ending.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.