[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I summarized The Stranger a long time ago, with a remark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: camus.jpg (19 KB, 360x254) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
19 KB, 360x254
"I summarized The Stranger a long time ago, with a remark I admit was highly paradoxical: 'In our society any man who does not weep at his mother's funeral runs the risk of being sentenced to death.' I only meant that the hero of my book is condemned because he does not play the game."

What the fuck is this shit, he was condemned to death because he killed a man in cold blood was no remorse.
>>
>>8289104
He killed a nonwhite, hence it wasn't morally wrong
>>
I dont really understand why people like or analize that shit book that much
>>
>>8289104
>What the fuck is this shit, he was condemned to death because he killed a man in cold blood was no remorse.

He was a white that killed in Arab in Algeria during the occupation. No jury would ever convict him. It would be like an America white killing a black in a town where lynch mobs happen. Nothing would happen even if they knew what happened.
>>
>>8289116
I really don't understand why 90% of /lit/s interpretations of the book are bullshit when it's really pretty simple.
>>
>>8289104
>plot twist
>they actually condemned him to death becuase he did not weep or feel at his mother's funeral
>>
>>8289104
He wouldn't have been convicted had it not been for his lack of emotion
>>
any good literary critique or studies of the stranger i can find on libgen (or somewhere else online)?

>>8289104
apparently back in those circumstances (frenchman in algeria killing an arab) wouldn't have gotten him a death sentence alone. the focus is on him not conforming to social standards. if would've gotten away with the murder if he acted differently afterward

>tfw hate playing the game too
>>
>>8289104
Being part of a society implies being aware of rules that need to be followed, however absurd of baseless they may be. Not playing the game is followed by isolation, which may end tragically for the isolated one, or for someone in society. Some of the school shootings make me thing of that - people who are unable to follow social rules for whatever reason, may experience isolation and bullying until the finally explode, this has led to many school shootings in america, and to many suicides nobody ever heard of because they don't make it to the news.

I think a less extreme example are physicians. I don't remember where I read (I think it was Blink or Thinking Fast and Slow) that physicians were being sued or not sued is by large independent of how they perform their actual job, but a correlation that can be established by means of the relation doctor-patient (and it didn't even matter if the surgery of whatever was successful). Physicians are expected to play a 'doctor's game' in relation to their patient, and another in relation to their peers, when they fail to play the game with their patients they are more likely to get sued, and when they do play it they get less sued regardless of how good are they in the game with their peers.
>>
>>8289104

chain of circumstances. confusion of causality and synchronicity. meditation on modernity.
>>
>>8291960
it's just annoying that the worst consequence isn't isolation itself, but actually having many other areas of your life affected by it. and there really isn't a way around it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.