[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1001 Nights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1417626508935.jpg (1 MB, 2595x1535) Image search: [Google]
1417626508935.jpg
1 MB, 2595x1535
What's the best translation/ version of the Arabian Nights in English?

There doesn't seem to be any definitive edition even in Arabic and many of the orally transmitted tales from India don't seem to have any written source at all, and since I don't speak or ever intend to learn French I can't read the translation by Galland, who might have invented many of the tales and added Aladdin (who he might very well have invented himself too), Sindbad and Alibaba to the Arabian Nights although they were never considered part of that set of stories in the middle East.

There seems to be a good German translation by a guy named /Lit/mann that I might be able to read, but I'm not sure which of the English one's is best.
Some appear to filter out a lot of sex and violence while another one apparently plays up the sex aspect to a ludicrous extent.

I heard there's another translation from 2008, but I know nothing about that one.
Should I go with the Grub Street version?
>>
>>8289015
My Islamic Studies professor recommended Haddaway by Norton
>>
File: 20817400.jpg (16 KB, 180x277) Image search: [Google]
20817400.jpg
16 KB, 180x277
>>8289023
For ants.
>>
File: 1446164644402.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1339) Image search: [Google]
1446164644402.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1339
>>8289023
>>8289028
Thanks anon, I heard some good things about Haddaway, but I didn't know how to spell the name so I left him out of my post and couldn't find him on Google
>>
>>8289039
Its based on a 13th century edition. Definitely about 15x as dense as any other edition but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>8289045
>Its based on a 13th century edition.
er, 15th
>>
>>8289045
>>8289052
Neat, I heard there's some younger stories from Ottoman times where they have gunpowder and stuff
>>
Does anyone know where I could get this book in an authoritative comprehensive Arabic version? I imagine online or in some strange Middle Eastern area like Beirut or east Yemen. Books like these are easier to find in English than in the Arabic original unfortunately.
>>
>>8289015
this shit is so bad aside from the concept. all the stories are pointless and boring. I literally cant fathom why anyone would write or read the whole thing.
>>
>>8289015
>>8289155

Is there a 'definitive' or 'authoritative' original text for the 1001 Nights anyway? Can there ever be? Isn't it a mishmash of several layers of source materials, coming from different parts of the Islamic world, written originally in different languages and in the course of different centuries? Wasn't it compiled as a single work only much later and by Western editors?

A somewhat related question: Suppose I don't want to read the whole thing. Is there a 'core', a set of books or chapters that you can recommend as being worth reading the most?
>>
>>8290114
Have you not read the OP?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.