[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fuck did I just read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 2013 edition.jpg (25 KB, 313x499) Image search: [Google]
2013 edition.jpg
25 KB, 313x499
The fuck did I just read?
>>
ophere, memes aside I loved every single page of this book and Katherine Driscolle is best girl
>>
Wish I had the NYRB edition :(((((
>>
>>8288632
a novel that women will never understand
>>
>>8289286
my gf read it and loved it

you're dumb
>>
>>8289479
She's a man baby
>>
>>8289479
women can't understand literature.

Nice try, though. Now back to /r/books
>>
>>8289482
>>8289484
Keep trying.
>>
>>8289479
she only said that to appease you pal, hell she probably didn't even read it
>>
slave morality the book

a lot of it relies on the reader feeling bad for Stoner
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-02+at+11.19.37).jpg (36 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-02+at+11.19.37).jpg
36 KB, 600x392
>>8288632
I just finished it too, and wow, what a read. Stoner's transition into a lit major, Dave Master's death, the entirety of Edith, the Walker debacle, the Katherine escapade, and the eventual meaningless all resonated with me.

There was one point when Edith said that it didn't matter whether Grace got married or not, and Grace said, "Yeah, Daddy, it doesn't matter," and Stoner realized it was true. It really didn't matter. Shit, man...

And about Edith... Was she well-founded? Was she a flat character? By the end of the book I hated her less for sure, because of the aforementioned meaningless bit (whether she was self-aware or not) and for her care for Willy near the end (I especially liked the part where Stoner says he wish he should have asked Edith for help up the stairs, and not just because he physically needed the help). Anyway, why is Edith the way she is? Parents and upbringing, obviously, but, is she in the right in any way? Ik it's naive for me to say it but if we're being honest, this book has given me another perspective on cheating. VERY naive.

Any books like this? I've also liked The Stranger and C&P.
>>
>demonizes Edith even though she is just a human too
>>
File: tumblr_o7r8aicAGU1tn4tc5o1_1280.jpg (923 KB, 1280x846) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7r8aicAGU1tn4tc5o1_1280.jpg
923 KB, 1280x846
You just read a very decent book, OP.

Go ahead and read his Butcher's Crossing, it's also very good.
>>
>>8289661
You'd probably enjoy The Trial
>>
>>8288632
Beta-Male: The Novelization
>>
>>8289661
>And about Edith... Was she well-founded? Was she a flat character? By the end of the book I hated her less for sure, because of the aforementioned meaningless bit (whether she was self-aware or not) and for her care for Willy near the end (I especially liked the part where Stoner says he wish he should have asked Edith for help up the stairs, and not just because he physically needed the help). Anyway, why is Edith the way she is? Parents and upbringing, obviously, but, is she in the right in any way?

Within the next 15 years, some feminist will re-write the book from Edith's perspective and provide answers to all of your questions.
>>
>>8289663
but the book literally doesn't
the descriptions of edith, lomax etc go out of their way to emphasise how each of these characters is simply acting the way that they think is right

i probably just took the bait but whatever
>>
>>8291436
>Within the next 15 years, some feminist will re-write the book from Edith's perspective and provide answers to all of your questions.
I actually would not mind this, weirdly enough
>>
It's a pretty good book. It feels like you're rushing through Stoner's life story, which makes it a bit difficult to care about certain events, but the fleeting nature of life is kind of the point of it all anyway so it's hard to fault the book for it.
Williams also has a very light, resonant and pleasant prose. Don't know if the book's worth all the brouhaha, but it's pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>8289661
>why is Edith the way she is?
Stoner raped her
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.