[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your opinion, what is the Great American Novel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 136321-004-2564C6CA.jpg (43 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
136321-004-2564C6CA.jpg
43 KB, 550x413
In your opinion, what is the Great American Novel?
>>
>>8288526
Moby Dick
>>
>>8288526
My Ass
>>
>>8288530
One post in and already over
>>
Moby Dick isn't American enough.
>>
>>8288536
Agreed. America isn't really a seafaring nation.
>>
>>8288548

I'm not sure what novel could reflect the whole of the American experience, though. It's still the high-water mark of literary achievement, IMO.
>>
>>8288526
mi diario, si te digo la verdad
>>
File: tfw.png (17 KB, 509x619) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
17 KB, 509x619
>>8288526
>>8288536
>>8288548

>tfw you are white and just want to explore/read/talk about whiteness and white culture but you are from America and your country's entire ethos is perceived to be multiculturalism and the nig experience.
>>
>>8288548
t. flyover
>>
>>8288583
if you dont think slavery and its legacy is central to american exceptionalism then youre pretty stupid imo
>>
What's the Great European Novel?
>>
>>8288583
Stop pulling shit out of your ass and making excuses for not even having actually tried.

One of the 2015 pulitzer winner of a category was a white American writing about the realities of WW2 from a completely European perspective.
>>
>>8288583
The movie "the Perfect Storm" encapsulated the life of white fishermen in New England pretty well; there's plenty of people out there interested in that kinda stuff, and there's no privilege nonsense in earning a living. go for it, boyo
>>
>>8288583

You are legitimately spooked.
>>
East of Eden
>>
Great Gatsby
>>
One of the following:

Moby-Dick
Absalom, Absalom!
Mason & Dixon
Libra

Honourable mention
Blood Meridian
Invisible Man
Huck Finn
All the King's Men
>>
>>8288526
On the road
>>
David Foster Wallace
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.