[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Ulysses is unreadable. If you threw a dictionary in a wood-chipper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: DHLTXp1.jpg (479 KB, 1620x1260) Image search: [Google]
DHLTXp1.jpg
479 KB, 1620x1260
"Ulysses is unreadable. If you threw a dictionary in a wood-chipper it would come up with a very accurate and thematically similar sequel.

Reading Infinite Jest is like feeling around in a dark room full of mouse-traps. Sometimes you manage to find one and figure out how to disarm it, but it's more painful to keep going and in the end isn't worth it.

Gravity's Rainbow is sort of like listening to the radio when you're driving from one town to another and both towns have a station on the same frequency. In this case, one town has a WWII channel and the other is a hippy poetry slam but you can't hear either one clearly and you'd rather just turn the radio off."

> defend this
>>
File: 1466872163134.gif (521 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1466872163134.gif
521 KB, 200x200
>>8288144
Ulysses is in no way unreadable. That notion is what keeps many people from enjoying it. There are segments, of course, that are more difficult and sometimes antiquated than others, but even then the flow and beauty of the prose is enough to keep reading.

IJ one is pretty accurate

Thematic dualism is a valid style, and Pynchon makes it enjoyable. It's like listening to two radio stations playing complementary tracks.
>>
>>8288144
GIRUGAMESH
>>
>>8288144
this actually makes me want to read them more.

The fact that intelligent and artistically aware individuals wrote these works, and that these works sit within their ouvres of other works of unquestionable artistic merit, makes me want to wrestle with them.

I was already going to read Ulysses and maybe GR, but I didn't want to touch IJ and now I do.
>>
garbage thread
>>
>>8288144
>Gravity's Rainbow is sort of like listening to the radio when you're driving from one town to another and both towns have a station on the same frequency. In this case, one town has a WWII channel and the other is a hippy poetry slam but you can't hear either one clearly and you'd rather just turn the radio off."
sounds amazing thanks
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.