[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is your experience with faulkner? which book did you start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Chicken-Bones.png (306 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
Chicken-Bones.png
306 KB, 800x400
what is your experience with faulkner?

which book did you start with and in what order did you read from there?

I'm reading As I Lay Dying, which is the first I've read by him and I'm definitely enjoying it even though I struggled at first with the Southern setting that I feel like I've over-read. But instead of simply an exposition of certain themes relating to the region like poverty, racism, Southern culture, etc. the narrative unfolds through the character's experiences relating to their environment with reference to upbringing and the endemic values and virtues of the area. I've read just over half of the book and I'm finding it quite easy to get through though still managing to have some pretty complex and amazing prose. What are your thoughts on the book?
>>
My first three Faulkner books were As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury, and Absalom, Absalom. It got me hooked on Faulkner for life, and now I've read damn near everything he wrote. I don't think anything surpasses Absalom for me though.
>>
>>8288149
Agree, Absalom is his best but do not read it first.
>>
>>8288129
i had an all faulkner class with one of the best professors at georgetown who had taught the course for twenty years. it was pretty legendary, but i still think he's just okay and i dont really plan to re-read any of his stuff.
>>
I read that one short story about the barber trying to stop a lynching, it was nice.

At some point I'll read one of his novels.
>>
started with the sound and the fury. zero likable characters. totally negative story. Pretty boring, just about a family. not very hard. maybe it would have been hard if shit wasn't in italics. kinda gives it away. Pretty shit desu. the only cool character was the nigger that fucks with benjy. haven't felt like reading anything from him since that book.
>>
where do i start with faulkner? Am not a confident reader yet
>>
I just started The Sound and the Fury, and I hate it.
I'm about halfway through Quentin's chapter and I'm just losing all motivation for it, I feel like I might just push through so I can read Absalom but I don't know.
>>
>>8288914
Dont
>>
I never see anyone mention Go Down, Moses. Please, read it before I decide to kill myself. It's my favorite novel. The book sucks. The book sucks on eggs. Eggs being my seed. Seed being my pumpkin seeds that I planted in the garden. Garden being my butthole. Butthole being my backyard. I hate children.
>>
>>8289842
Meh. Don't be so boring next time.
>>
>>8289842
you aren't funny
>>
>>8289854
>>8289863
Why'd you think I was trying to be funny? Because I was. Me being a professional comedian. Comedian being homeless. I hate the outside. Except, I love homes. My butthole smells fresh. Take a whiff of my pits. Read Go Down, Noses.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.