[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best book for teaching yourself latin? I saw this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
What is the best book for teaching yourself latin? I saw this at my local used bookstore, but was reluctant to buy it in case there was something better.

I recall seeing a similar thread where someone mentioned that Wheelcock was a good start, and they mentioned some others as well, but I can't remember who or what or why.
>>
>>8287177
Wheelock is good for grammar.

Lingua Latina is a book written entirely in latin, but the early chapters are latin that's so easy to read anyone could do it. "Italia in Europa est", so on. It gets more complex and introduces authors and poets.
>>
>>8287177
Good luck buddy. Latin is difficult. Not at all like learning a romance or germanic language.
>>
>>8287547
What makes it so difficult?
>>
>>8287677
Declensions, probably.
>>
>>8287689
Exactly. I learned Latin in school and it was a real pain in the ass to remember all the declinations. The problem with Latin is: If you're getting the declension wrong, you won't the able to understand the sentence at all.
>>
>>8287689
Well I have been studying German for a year or so and declensions, while difficult at first, haven't really posed much of an obstacle for me. The word order/sentence structure is what trips me up.
>>
>>8287177

Just read the Summa and it will start to make sense
>>
>>8287547
>>8287677
>>8287689
>>8287703
>>8287731
I've never gotten this criticism.
Not that I am a fluent in Latin by any stretch of the imagination, but in my studies, this was never a challenge.
Sure, the declension system is something radically different than English, but it compensates by being so damn logical. Once you get used to it, it's pretty easy.
Compare that to German, where all your declensions vary by one letter and are incredibly easy to mix up and mostly irrelevant anyways because German is more stringent with word order.
>>
File: latinviaovid.jpg (25 KB, 299x474) Image search: [Google]
latinviaovid.jpg
25 KB, 299x474
You might want to check out Latin via Ovid. It's what I used when I was learning Latin in school. I was a big fan of the format.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.