[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about some great Victorian literature. Anything from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Tell me about some great Victorian literature.

Anything from poetry to gothic fiction to philosophy
>>
>>8286844
Middlemarch
>>
>>8286866
Middlemarch
Unless you don't want to see a host of characters fully realized and bouncing off of one another like the pinball machine of the human condition
>>
>>8286844
Tennyson
Swinburne
Browning
>>
browning, both of them

macaulay

dickens

carlyle

newman

george eliot

ruskin

stevenson

thackeray

tennyson

hardy

huxley

rossetti, both of them

william morris

I'm obviously forgetting some stuff
>>
>>8287974
Someone read the Norton Anthology
>>
thomas hardy
>>
>>8287978
no but I have read an introductory book to the victorians

I also happen to have read many of the names I posted

(I hardly read anything after the death of Queen Victoria and I don't read any foreign literature)
>>
>>8287987
That's depressing AND boring since modernism is infinitely more interestinf than Victorians
>>
>>8287994
maybe, but most of the people starting off in literature only feel that way because they don't understand the victorians well enough to enjoy them
>>
>>8288022
That's true, but i feel they were so concerned with being preachy they lost sight of presenting it well often

And fuuuuck Tennyson was a mopey shit
>>
Wuthering Height. It's savage.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.