[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanna start reading books but I honestly have no idea where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: fffffff.jpg (10 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
fffffff.jpg
10 KB, 273x185
I wanna start reading books but I honestly have no idea where to start. I'm a huge music fan and enjoy just about every genre but books are quite like that. It seems like all of the book reviews and recommendations I see on youtube are always for romance novels (which I have zero interest in) I also don't care about any sort of real life science, history, philosophy, etc. I want a fiction book but "fiction" is so broad. I also don't want some over the top action book with constant fighting or greek mythology type thing. Where should I start?
>>
>Where should I start
The Greeks.

When you say "fiction" do you mean genre fiction or fiction for grown ups?
If it's the former I woukd like to redirect you to our containment thread

Also note that the sticky includes a link to the /lit/ wiki which lists a bunch of books by type and so on
>>
>>8286219
What's the difference between fiction for grownups and genre fiction?
>>
>>8286224
Genre fiction includes science fiction, fantasy and so on.

Do you want pew pew lasers and space ships or a book about something that didn't actually happen?
>>
>>8286235
Yea, that's another thing I kept seeing reviews for on youtube that I had no interest in. I definitely am not interested in the fantasy or pew pew lasers. A book about something that didn't actually happen is what i'm looking for.
>>
Apart from le Greeks, stuff like Heart of Darkness, Frankenstein is probably a good place to start. John Steinbeck too, East of Eden or the Grapes of Wrath if you didn't read them in school. Check out Joyce's Dubliners for a great short story collection
>>
>>8286219
I actually have started the greeks using the chart in the wiki and am rather enjoying it.
>>
>>8286287
good lad
>>
>>8286235
What
>>
File: 1444972550922.jpg (884 KB, 1032x2451) Image search: [Google]
1444972550922.jpg
884 KB, 1032x2451
>>
>>8286424
Just pick anything on here that looks interesting. Or perhaps look at the recommended books on the sticky. Really doesn't matter where you start as long as you read, comprehend, and then can analyze for yourself.
>>
>>8286251
Don't know about other editions, but the Oxford World Classics version of Dubliners has a ton of good notes for each story. If you really don't know where to start, and don't want to suffer through a long novel, try short story collections from different authors. Check out Chekhov, Borges, Kafka.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.