[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy Lit Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 328x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 328x499
Can we get a comfy lit thread going? What makes a book comfy? Suggestions?

Read pic related recently and felt quite comfy.
>>
>>8286080
robert walser, bohumil hrabal

nyrb is basically what's up
>>
>>8286080
pretty baller viking lit.
>>
>>8286080
John Irving seems pretty comfy.

Thurber.

Robert Frost.
>>
>>8286080
Raymond Chandler novels and short stories always got me comfy. Read them with a nice glass of bourbon.
>>
Middlemarch is p comfy
I've got in the habit of trying reading e e cummings to wind down for fun
>>
Ulysses.
>>
The stories of Raymond Carver, beer, and cigarettes... max comfy
>>
I found white noise to be a really entertaining read. I don't know. Maybe it was because I was reading old translations of Aristotle and Dostoevsky beforehand, or maybe it was just the style or the topics.
>>
File: Wind-in-the-Willows.jpg (41 KB, 362x460) Image search: [Google]
Wind-in-the-Willows.jpg
41 KB, 362x460
>>8286080

To this day, "The Wind in the Willows" is the comfiest book I've ever read. Pic related.

A runner up is any Homer Price book, though those may be a bit kiddish for you.
>>
Nero Wolfe mysteries are super comfy.
I want to live in a cozy brownstone while solving mysteries based on the clues brought to me by my manservant.
>>
>>8287245
>>8287410
*cringe*
>>
>>8287441
dyke/numale detected
>>
>>8286080
Lovecraft's short stories desu
>>
a wizard of earthsea
>>
File: american-gods-neil-gaiman.jpg (113 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
american-gods-neil-gaiman.jpg
113 KB, 900x506
>>8286080
I just feel secure.
>>
Oh man The Long Ships is amazing.

If you like comfy historical fiction, try Eiji Yoshikawa's books - either Musashi or Taiko, Musashi has less characters so it's easier to read if you're unfamiliar with Japanese naming (there are so many different names in Taiko).

If you like comfy fantasy, read Wolfgang Moers' 13 1/2 Adventures Of Captain Bluebear and all the books that follow, each one gets more "mature" and meta.

If you like "lost worlds" read Zweig's The World Of Yesterday.

If you want historical fiction but with a US-bent try The Land Breakers.
>>
>>8287262
that first poldy chapter though, so comfy
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.