[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so keen to tear his theories apart? Is it because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
Why are people so keen to tear his theories apart?

Is it because he strikes a nerve in many even in this day and age?
>>
Everything should be examined to the most minute core. Don't you agree?
>>
Because retards keep bringing him up
>>
>Discovered The Unconcious
>Discovered the importance of sexuality
>Discovered that talking alleviates stress
>Discovered defense mechanisms
>Discovered that your personality is 100% dependent on your upbringing

Most of his theories are proven and are taken for granted today in modern psychology and psychoanalysis. Dunno what you're talking about OP.
>>
>>8285465
Two reasons for me:
1) Most of Freud's theories only apply to very dysfunctional human beings. For instance, sons wanting to sleep with their mothers is true if you take into account sexual child abuse otherwise it's completely wrong.
2) Jung is a thousand time better.
>>
>>8285505
>Freud "Discovered The Unconcious"
I know that post is otherwise bait, but can someone explain why people in general keep spouting that myth?
>>
>>8285520
Who discovered it then?

Let me guess, Jung.
>>
>>8285465
>>8285505
Obvious samefag
>>
>>8285507
>better
>literally believed in telepathy and did séances
>wrote an entire thesis about it later on

nice bait
>>
cause he give outrageously wrong answers but asks the correct questions.

>>8285505
>>Discovered
>>
"Discovering the unconscious" is genius because any snake-oil salesman can tell you what's in it, then, and sell you the solution.
>>
A lot if it is the science meme in that he can only be credible if he is scientific. Most of these people haven't read Freud and couldn't really grasp the real world utility of his ideas.
>>
Didnt Schopy talk of the unconscious first? Of course not in such a didactic way, but still.
>>
>>8285615
The problem is that it's an ongoing experiment. It's the one place where science doesn't work.
>>
>psychology is a science
>not just a bunch if opinions

nice meme
>>
>>8285465
>>8285470
>>8285491
>>8285505
>>8285507
>>8285520
>>8285527
>>8285555
>>8285583
>9 posts, 4 posters
This much effort isn't even needed to start a freud bait thread...
>>
File: CG Jung.jpg (13 KB, 329x499) Image search: [Google]
CG Jung.jpg
13 KB, 329x499
Its because Jung transcended Freud's sexually repressed era in which Freud had a myopic view, reducing the grandeur of the psyche to sexual minutia
>>
File: slide_2.jpg (95 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
slide_2.jpg
95 KB, 960x720
>>8285465
Because his theories wholly embody the Barnum effect.

Especially with regards to the whole Oedipus stuff i.e. his theory that problems with sexuality come from conflicts with parents which are somehow interpreted as "repressed desire"

Nearly everyone comes into conflict with their parents at some point in their life. If I have a sexual dysfunction, it's likely that I had a conflict with a parent at some point in my life just by simple probability. Under Freud's theory, the conflict is ascribed to be the root of such dysfunction.

I think Freud was just a massive projector, which is ironic since he coined the term.
>>
>>8285656
That's not exactly what irony is.
>>
Pedophiles hate Freud.
>>
>>8285700
All his theories were his own projections.

One of his theories was the theory of projection.

Yes, that's irony.
>>
>>8285771
irony has an element of contradiction

If he denied his projections, there is no evidence that he did.
>>
>>8285505
this is true
contemporary psychology is his baby, no matter how much psychologists like to shit on him
>>
>>8286182
Eventually, you bite the hand that feeds.
>>
>>8285779

Sigmund pls
>>
ITT: Wikipedia scholars' debate team
>>
>>8285779
He denied that his projections were projections by asserting that they were inexorable, universal parts of the human psyche.

Anyways, psychoanalysis is either empirically unsupported or outright untestable (and therefore pseudoscience) and this opinion is hardly unpopular among psychologists, psychiatrists and cognitive/neuroscientists

Claiming that they shit on him because he 'strikes a nerve' is like claiming that people don't believe in tarot cards because they strike a nerve. Same two sides of bullshit pseudoscience.
>>
>>8285583
You should read up on the history of Jung 'just knowing' a sound coming from etc, and it freaking Freud out enough to make him faint a few times (and because he was butthurt that Jung wasnt following is absolute, authoritative guidance to psychology exactly as Freud intended)

lolz, that Freud tho. Soooo INTJ or INFP
>>
>>8285505

This.

People give Freud a hard time. His work was spliced with his own personal bullshit, but he formulated the Unconscious, give em a break.
>>
>>8286318
>He denied that his projections were projections by asserting that they were inexorable, universal parts of the human psyche.

There's no denial there.

Therapists often get regular therapy themselves.

That's like saying if I say males have penises, it is ironic because I have a penis.

Fail.
>>
>>8286355
>Fail.
>>
>>8286355
>That's like saying if I say males have penises, it is ironic because I have a penis.
false equivalence because we are not talking about hard biological facts, we are talking about amorphous things like thoughts, feelings and unconscious desires, etc

He projected his own experiences/feelings towards his mother onto everybody without much verification as to its supposed ubiquitousness.
>>
>>8286384
Everyone knows psychology isn't a "hard" science.

Don't they?
>>
>>8286412
>hard" science.
>Freud
tee hee
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.