[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haruki Murakami.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: fullwidth_books1-1600x600.jpg (230 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
fullwidth_books1-1600x600.jpg
230 KB, 1600x600
Are his books actually good?

Which one should I start with?
>>
no

none of them
>>
>>8285335
why ?
>>
no

start with norwegian wood
>>
>>8285304
I read kafka on the shore. It was meh but comfy. I might one day pick up another one if I feel like a light read.
>>
>>8285404
I've only read Norwegian Wood but it was terrible. A regular love story with no depth mixed with some explicit sex scenes (one of them between a 13 year old girl and a 30 something woman) and TONS of references to western pop culture.

A waste of time honestly
>>
>>8285522
Hmm thats exactly Kafka on the shore... Murakami you hack.
>>
They are good.
It's just that he writes the same book over and over again.
>>
>>8285542
I agree. Loner man, food, beer, dreams, cats, classical music, reading, pretty ears, overly forward women, lesbians, everything's sort of ok in the end but still sad
>>
>literally a whole western and eastern canon of things people have probably not read yet or even touched the surface of

>they want to read murakami instead

be happy on the road to plebdom.
>>
>>8285304
reading Murakami is like getting drinks with an old friend.
Cozy, endearing, distant, odd, mildly philosophical, kind of a downer.

Did you learn anything?
no
Was it deep or profound?
no
Are you going to make a habit of it?
Probably not
Was it enjoyable?
Yeah

Murakami is comfy when you don't take him too seriously
>>
>>8286518
Whenever i see this post i just wonder what the fuck you guys are doing reading books anyway.

>loner, sad, hopeless, kills this old woman just because she has money, regret, cops get him
>pretentious guy, educated, loner, meets this chick, ends up killing her in some theater, random shit
>sad guy, kills some other guy because it's too hot, gets executed
>little boy, gets chosen to go to the wizard academy, is the chosen one, kills the bad guy
>little boy, gets chosen to carry the ring to some volcano, destroys the ring, everyone's happy

Like what the fuck do you people even get out of reading?
>>
>>8285522
Norwegian wood blows. Hard boiled and Kafka on the shore are pretty worthwhile. Reading wind up bird chronicle now, enjoying it. Very comfy.
>>
>>8286589
Hey, thanks for the spoilers you dick.
>>
>>8285304
>>8285522
Even Murakami didn't like Norwegian Wood, start with Kafka on the Shore.
>>
>>8286559
>when you don't take it too seriously
I did this with Gravity's Rainbow. In retrospect, I think I might have enjoyed it better if I hadn't tried so hard reading it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.