[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the theatre so expensive? My local theatre is state subsidised
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 85x100) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 85x100
Why is the theatre so expensive?
My local theatre is state subsidised luckily (still kinda expensive but not that much), but they're doing Faust nearby and I was looking into tickets, turns out it's $200+ per person for the absolutely cheapest seats.
>>
File: pepes intrest.jpg (30 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
pepes intrest.jpg
30 KB, 563x542
>have esoteric interest
>surprised when it's expensive
>>
>>8284691
I wouldn't be able to afford going to the opera if it weren't subsidized, but I still think that an art should be able to survive commercially on its own merits. If there aren't any rich as fuck patrons, or if regular people don't enjoy the art enough, then the art should probably be left to die.

So, we need either the aristocracy or the people, and if we have neither, there is no art, only memes now.
>>
>>8284745
>but I still think that an art should be able to survive commercially on its own merits
Philistines can't appreciate or even recognize the sublime.
>>
>>8284754
>the sublime in theatre

what? do you think the actors will harm you?
>>
>>8284691
where do you live that has state subsidised theatre?

>>8284712
Faust isn't exactly "esoteric" matey
>>
>>8284691
€70 is expensive for opera/ballet here, and even box seats are rarely over €100. Usually you can get theatre tickets for €15 or less, depending on the theatre and the night.
>>
We don't want poor people stinking up the place. This isn't a feudalistic society where the plebs are allowed to watch Shakespeare plays; this is a Randian society where we objectify people for their class.
>>
>>8285316
you idiot. faust is one of the most popular operas ever. it was pretty much a staple at the royal opera house for years. there was a two week run of it a couple of years ago.
>>
>>8285750
>it's 'esoteric' when compared with massive entertainment industries

you could say that about most things tho, even relatively large events or other popular things like television shows

of course there are exceptions like star wars or harry potter or whatever but even relatively popular books, shows, bands etc are only experienced by a small percentage of the population
>>
>>8285291
Switzerland.

>>8285316
Without knowing any numbers, I'd say, at least in German speaking countries, Faust is one of the most known theatre pieces.
>So yes, it's 'esoteric' when compared with massive entertainment industries
This is, of course, true though.
>>
>>8284754
No, but they can still enjoy the art enough to be willing to pay for it.
>>
>>8286083
Are you in Basel near lorrach , where its having its run at the cult headquarters
>>
>>8285316
I got rused by a female friend into going to see Dr Faustus, the tickets were cheap enough and it seemed fun so I went with it. The place was sold out which was initially a nice surprise until I realised I was maybe one of a dozen or so men in the place and it was full of women getting hot and bothered over some GoT actor's ass.
>>
>>8286089
I think it might be, at least to some degree, a chicken and egg problem.
Probably most people that I know haven't been to the theater since childhood. They might actually enjoy it now, but for ~$80 (iirc this is what I paid last time I went to the theatre) they won't bother finding out.
Of course, it also just doesn't speak to most people, I don't think that will change. A shame really.

>>8286097
Basel indeed, but the one I was looking at is at the Goetheanum.
Link to the one you're talking about?
>>
File: 1454173929785.jpg (67 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1454173929785.jpg
67 KB, 625x626
>going to the theatre is pretty much free because of my country's enormous subsidies on everything cultural
>theatres are still always half empty

Not sure how I feel about this.
>>
>>8286124
Where do you live?
>>
>>8286124
Same here. I've never paid more than €20 for a theater ticket (even for BIG productions), and even on openings nights, venues are 3/4 full at best.
>>
>>8286127
Sweden.
>>
>>8286131
Ive never paid more than €15 here
>>
>>8286124
>>8286131
What kinds of people are there usually?
I've definitely seen shows booked out here, but for the most part it seems to be old people that go.
>>
>>8286150
At least 90% old people. Went to a Strindberg play recently and me and my friends were probably the only ones there below retirement age.
>>
>>8286097
>the cult headquarters

>>8286113
>the Goetheanum

wiki
>The Goetheanum, located in Dornach (near Basel), Switzerland, is the world center for the anthroposophical movement

pretty sure you are both talking about the same place
>>
>>8284691
dude i just looked at the site
it's the full cycle, 21 hours, over 3 days
$200 is pretty cheap really
probably everyone else is thinking of the opera which is about 3.5 hours
>>
File: Untitled.png (11 KB, 430x432) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11 KB, 430x432
>>8286191
Are you sure?

>Single tickets
>Showing Faust 1
>Category 4
(the cheapest)
>normal price: 210CHF
(~$214)
>>
File: 2016-07-16_2319.png (31 KB, 901x185) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-16_2319.png
31 KB, 901x185
>>8286236
it says in the faq
>>
>>8286124
I kind of know that feel, but I've never seen an empty theatre. Somehow they always sell them. Some plays are really commercially successful and popular, and tickets are sold out a month in advance. Even the less successful ones fill most of the theatre. The least successful just sell tickets to schools and pensioners cheaply.

I guess I live in a patrician country. :^)
>>
File: Untitled.png (35 KB, 686x332) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
35 KB, 686x332
>>8286243
The thing I was looking at is just the Faust 1 (on the left in this pic).
The whole event costs (at cheapest) 670CHF as far as I can see (on the right)
>>
File: 2016-07-16_2331.png (85 KB, 1689x458) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-16_2331.png
85 KB, 1689x458
>>8286262
it seems that part 1 is just 4.5 hours

it also seems the whole thing is performed very rarely. it is almost like a once in a generation event, something you would remember forever. i would go if i was in switzerland around that time.
>>
>>8286286
Right, I've seen part 1 abridged before but never full.
It's just so damn expensive though. I guess I'll give it some more thought.
>>
>>8284691
>Why is the theatre so expensive
ideally, to keep out plebs.
in reality, all it does is allow in morons with large pocketbooks

which is 99% of the reason most "theater" productions are some modern swill or a shitty musical, because most people with money have shit taste.
>>
>>8284691

>tfw just found out the theater in my town lets uni students see anything in any seat for 10 bucks

Imma get all cultural up in dis bitch
>>
>>8286306
you sound like a grumpy old man anon
try going to a decent shakespeare play or something
>>
>>8286136
That's because our theatres are shit.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.