[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is literally nothing wrong with genre fiction.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: michael-lewis.banner-cropped.jpg (128 KB, 996x394) Image search: [Google]
michael-lewis.banner-cropped.jpg
128 KB, 996x394
>>
Nor is there anything wrong with science fiction.
>>
pleb
>>
Its kinda funny how many "genre writers" are actually very well read.
>>
>>8284544
Every book fits into a certain genre. What do you mean.
>>
>>8284550
Say a sci-fi or fantasy writer can be very familiar with the classics and philosophy.
>>
>>8284553
I mean why describe them as genre writers. Every author writes a book of a certain genre.
>>
>>8284557
Oh I see. Yea I personally think the 'genre/literary' divide is bullshit, or at least only relevant in terms of marketing. But since the OP used those terms to begin his thread I figured I'd operate within the assumed context.
>>
Genre fiction from least to most pleb:

Westerns
Historical fiction
>POWER GAP
SciFi
Crime/Mystery
Romance
Sports
>POWER GAP
Fantasy
>>
>>8284566
>Westerns

Fuck off cowboy
>>
>>8284539
genre fiction is cancer
>>
>>8284557
this is a specious vacuous statement. is this better: most books which can be described under the handle of 'genre fiction' never and could never have been called sui generis.
>>
welp. this is it. the decline of /lit/.
it's literally just r/books 2.0
>>
>>8284550
There's a difference between setting out to fit a book into a genre and a book happening to fit a genre.
>>
>>8284566
>Westerns
Westerns were far better as films.
>>
>>8285960
Has something happened at reddit that makes them want to come here?
>>
The term genre fiction is meant to divide the works, and categorize them.

It works to condemn those called Genre fiction, because they aren't called Literature.

Its basically an attempt for the older and more self righteous writers to claim that books that have things that can't happen or haven't happened yet, as comic book and shitty summer movie tier.

There's some truth to what they say, a lot of genre writers just write original fan fictions. But there are certainly those authors who write amazing works which would count as GENRE fiction.
>>
Pleb.
>>
>>8284539
There's literally nothing right with it.
>>
>>8285960
>welp
And you're part of it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.