[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are there any great writers that wasted years of their early lives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
are there any great writers that wasted years of their early lives
>>
kierkegaard
>>
Subjecting yourself to mental anguish and self reflection is never wasted time
>>
yeah, Me
>>
File: 20160715200420.jpg (19 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
20160715200420.jpg
19 KB, 640x640
Image test
Charles Bukowski started his writing career pretty late, he used to be a postal worker before he became a poet/opinion columnist
Then he got offered a book deal and wasted zero time on that.
/lit/ doesn't have many good words for Buk but I find him inspiring
>>
>>8282765
Subjecting yourself to suffering is always a waste of time. While no pain = no gain is true, some people seem to think that pain = gain, which is untrue. No matter how much self-loathing and pessimism you torture yourself with, you will never come any closer to truth. You will also never come any closer to being a good writer. Go out and have some experiences and stop disappointing your friends.
>>
>>8282741
Nope, just you.
>>
>>8282831
thx :)
>>
>>8282799
He was also an ugly fucking loser
>>
>>8282873
He was really ugly, yeah, but he still smashed qts despite his ugliness. He has poems where horny girls come to his house just to sleep with him and he rejects them because of how many there are
>>
Me but I'm too obscure for you.
>>
>>8282741
everybody is wasting their time
>>
>>8282822
>le experiences meme

Yeah maybe you need to have experiences if you are writing YA trash. You don't need experiences to have good prose and interesting ideas. What kind of experiences were necessary to Borges or Kafka to derive their ideas? Emily Dickinson almost certainly was agoraphobic. The only thing that makes a great writer is predestination.
>>
>>8282822
>disappointing your friends
>your friends
>friends
>disappointing
>there is anyone left to disappoint
>including myself
>experiences
>suffering, shame and loneliness are not >experiences
>they don't arise as a result of >experiences
>just b urself
>one step at a time
>time's a-wastin'
>>
>>8282760
Tbf, the man did do very little besides studying at first theology and later philosophy and theology again from the age of 20 onto 27
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.