[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like to smoke weed before reading? Or do you find it makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: ggf.jpg (6 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
ggf.jpg
6 KB, 224x224
Do you like to smoke weed before reading? Or do you find it makes it too difficult?
>>
File: Coldsteel Edgy.jpg (209 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
Coldsteel Edgy.jpg
209 KB, 780x770
>>8282724
Intellectualism is my drug.
>>
>>8282724
weed is for pleb musicians

caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, amphetamines, cocaine and opiates are literary drugs
>>
>>8282750
LSD sure seems to have done wonders for your "Ego Death".
>>
depends

u bet i smoke a few reefers if i'm reading the ol' pynchmeister . . .
>>
File: diogenes.jpg (232 KB, 834x1285) Image search: [Google]
diogenes.jpg
232 KB, 834x1285
>>8282724
Smoking and reading don't really mix (with Pynchon being the obvious exception, Gravity's Rainbow begs to be re-read stoned off your ass), I usually prefer it as a way to unwind after a hard day of study.

My current schedule

>Wake up
>largest breakfast I can stomach
>quad shot of espresso
>morning walk and a cigarette to refresh the sleeping body
>autodidact study until I get a migraine
>pop half a dozen T3s, smoke a trio of nice big bong tokes and chug down a cup of Kava Kava brew
>go for an evening walk listening to Trap music
>get home, brew some chamomile valerian tea and take a mixture of various OTC herbal sleep supplements
>pass out at some point and regain consciousness in the morning
>rinse and repeat

I'm comfortably in a downward spiral leading to a life of empty intellectualism and homelessness AKA the only patrician lifestyle still available. Now if I could only build up the courage to jack off at the grocery store, I could start to live like a true Diogenes.
>>
>>8282750
>implying you could do anything "unnatural" to yourself

Are you so vain as to think that you aren't a part of nature?
>>
>>8282800
From across the gulf of time and space.

You my nigga.
>>
>>8282796
Good luck earning that media degree, pal. I'm sure your dad is very proud.
>>
>>8282800
>as to think
trash.jpg
>>
>>8282818
http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/188876-not-so-naive-as-to-think

How is basic English grammar going Anon?

Finally getting those tenses down?
>>
>>8282825
You misunderstand, I'm calling you a try hard.
>>
>>8282832
My mistake, how is being an anti-intellectual pleb going?

Would "Suh dude, everything we do is nature man, we are the veins of the trees my nigga" work better for you?
>>
>>8282837
>for you
>>>/tv/
>>
File: 1429298316418.png (269 KB, 567x960) Image search: [Google]
1429298316418.png
269 KB, 567x960
>>8282842
>>
>>8282761
bad post, L
>>
>>8282800
That's actually a pretty interesting proposition. I held that belief for a while but ended up abandoning it. The distinction lies in how you define 'nature'. How do you define nature?
>>
>>8282796
>ton of drugs to wake up
>ton of drugs to go to sleep
You'd probably save a lot of time and money if you toned it down a bit
>>
>>8282724
I've only done it a few times. It's useful in order to pick up on a book's atmosphere, especially when the book hasn't clicked with you yet, but otherwise it's awful. Any sort of complexity or ambiguity turns into a sort of hopeless problem and you just have to move on, and I find myself constantly failing to remember what happened 3 pages ago and being lost.

But I don't really enjoy anything while high so that might have something to do with it.
>>
>>8282735
Classifying drugs for specific purposes/people is for plebs.
>>
I honestly just smoke weed constantly
>>
>>8282761
made me kek and feel bad for it
>>
>>8282724
It just depends on the book. I enjoy reading sci-fi stoned, as well as other light novels like The Big Sleep or any Wodehouse because being high actually increases my focus on the story. But if I'm reading a denser novel like Gaddis or something and I'm high, I'll usually do more rereading than usual. As for non-fiction, I usually prefer reading sober with unmitigated retention rates.
>>
>>8282796
drugfags don't have the discipline to live like diogenes
>>
>>8282918
Well, superficially if you keep any Junkie in supply they'll happily live in a barrel, wander about being argumentative and wear nothing but a bedsheet.
>>
If it was some casual entertainment I didn't plan to get anything out of it isn't a problem.

Any books actually worth thinking about, no.

Then again I hardly smoke anymore anyway.
>>
>>8282928
Exactly, the trick is to do it sober. Being a Cynic is about living with the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities, not about being a decadent who just happens to sleep outside.
>>
>>8282928

When all Diogenes is to you is "degenerate that lives in a barrel" you'd probably make a poor Diogenes.

But go for it anyway I guess.
>>
>>8282796
>jack off at the grocery store
>>
File: WP_20140728_001.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140728_001.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>Do you like to smoke weed before reading?
Yes

>Or do you find it makes it too difficult?
No. About the same difficulty.

Alcohol makes reading more difficult. I have trouble concentrating.
>>
>Dude weed lmao xdd

Grow up.
>>
I will get high before reading Ulysses sometimes, but it doesn't necessarily add or take away much due to the nature of the book.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>8282724
I literally cannot read stoned. It's very frustrating.
>>
>>8282825
Strunk would murder you just for saying that
>>
>>8282933
>>8282934

Hence "Superficially".

Such a creature would greatly resemble Diogenes in lifestyle and appearance if not actual cranial contents.
>>
>>8283005
>Such a creature would greatly resemble Diogenes in lifestyle
I don't think such a creature would spend his days trying to teach citizens about virtue and risking his life doing so.
>>
who else /weedmakesyoupanic/ here?
>>
>>8282800
>>8282803
>>8282863
nigs, you are all obviously retarded

best of luck!
>>
Is this the low I.Q. thread?
>>
>>8283559
Not full on panic but a bit. It happened as the stress of my program got to me and now I can't smoke at all without being uncomfortable, which sort of defeats the purpose. Booze though, booze works fine.
>>
File: road trip.jpg (524 KB, 850x841) Image search: [Google]
road trip.jpg
524 KB, 850x841
>>8282724
I came home once after smoking weed and i was pretty cooked and I started reading Storybro's Magically Lewd Road Trip. Shit was cash. Listened to "Nothing Feels Good" by the Promise Ring which complimented it perfectly it was like I was lying on my couch but I was so warm I was floating away on a road trip in California. Shit was tight, man.
>>
No and not out of difficulty, assigned material is another story though.
>>
>>8283584

xd!
>>
>>8282724
Yes. No.
>>
>>8283570
yes. more specifically, it's the thread for chronic psychoactive drug consumers
>>
>>8283623
>psychoactive drugs
i'll be even more specific; weed
>>
>>8283561
What
>>
>>8283639
ha ha ha
>>
>he read Gravity's rainbow and still gets anxiety from cannabis

lmao
>>
personally I like to huff paint and take 3 or 4 percs before sitting down with an audiobook

creates a really comfy vibe
>>
>>8282918
This
>thinking they can do drugs everyday whilst living a life without any needs or dependencies
>>
>>8283998
>he read <work of literature X>
>he still feels <biological response A> when exposed to what physiologically causes it
>this is evidence of him not having read <work of literature X> deeply enough

good catch
what should I read to solve my haemorrhoid problems, my literary critic friend?
>>
>>8284018
dan brown

>he's going to think i'm joking
>>
made it too difficult. Now i trip off my mental illness and read
>>
>>8282724
why would I poison myself?
>>
Some Hesse is pretty good while stoned.
>>
>>8284027
It's pretty good when you do it in moderation. I feel like it makes me more focused and makes me feel things really intensely on an emotional level. Obviously if you use it too much you're just going to be a lazy stoned idiot.
>>
>>8284040
No it isn't, you just think it is because it gets you off.
>>
>>8284043
It's just what I've noticed as far as it's effect on me goes.
>>
>>8284048
>It's just what I've noticed as far as it's effect on me goes.
>it's effect
OH BELIEVE ME, I CAN SEE ITS EFFECT
>>
>>8284021
why would I poison myself?
>>
>>8284069
So what, you don't drink or something?
>>
>>8284074
only Alex Jones' juice
>>
>>8284074
what does drink have to do with dan brown?

were you trying to defend weed somehow and quoted the wrong post?
>>
>>8284097
i've been using brain force for 6 months now
i've gotten into shape, controlled my eating, began growing food in my own backyard, lost my virginity to a girl with whom i am now going steady, finished the entirety of henry james' and charles dickens' oeuvres, and completed the first draft of my anti-globalist literary detective novel

thank you alex jones, i'm breaking the conditioning
>>
>>8284103
you are the resistance
>>
>>8284022
I fucking hate this copypaste.
>>
>>8283559
This, the skress is too much. I stick with booze.
>>
>>8283559
that reaction is dependent on the strain, heavy indica won't make you nearly as unsettled as sativa. I've smoked for 5 years and I still sometimes get a panic rise out of pure sativa, it's like drinking way too much caffeine.
>>
>>8282724
Adderal
>>
>>8284033
This. I read the ending of Steppenwolf while stoned, was fantastic
>>
>>8284584
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8282724

Are there any good books to read while stone?

I feel like reading Mark Z Danielewski's stuff would be fun to read high.
>>
>>8285893
I like the Great Gatsby
>>
File: hashmoon.jpg (133 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
hashmoon.jpg
133 KB, 500x501
>>8282878
>I honestly just smoke weed constantly

me too mate, it is getting a little old though.

in response to OP, yes, I do enjoy smoking while reading. it brings the experience to a fuller and often times euphoric degree. i smoke enough that it isn't difficult for me to concentrate and understand what's going on.

also, bonus points for poetry. recently been enjoying some Robert Creeley after a long hard day and some nice bong rips.
>>
I've only smoked while reading recently and I've greatly enjoyed my time spent doing so thus far.

>when you're reading hard sci-fi while high and the author begins explaining how inertial dampeners work
>>
>>8285893

I've found Paul Auster to be great while high, especially the New York Trilogy
>>
>>8286907

I am also constantly high. Right on brother.
>>
>>8283643
Don't talk to me.
>>
why does most of 4chan have a hate boner for weed?
as soon as it's mentioned it opens the floodgates to trite copy and paste memeing
if it's meant to be a dig at stoner teenagers who see smoking weed as their identity, then I think the memes have gone past the point and turned itself on its head

why is it given more significance and attention than just drinking coffee or having a beer?
it's just weed
>>
>>8282796
>trap music

Kys
>>
>>8282796

>jack off at the grocery store

I've done that. It's unfulfilling, Anon.
>>
>>8282796
Trap music lol
>>
>>8282724
>tfw trying to stop solo-smoking
>been doing good for about a month
>friend leaves some weed at your house
>end up spending ten minutes staring at a joint you've rolled trying to convince yourself if you smoke it, you'd start working on your short story straight after, and not try and invade people as Guts in DSIII
>manage to do about a 100 words and just go to sleep

Is this the sign of an addictive personality? I'm trying to find more discipline in my life. Both my mother and the Dutch were disappointed in my need to push things. I'm Irish too, and the taste of lager from a cold glass or whiskey without ice makes my throat dance.
>>
>>8282724
Caffeine, nicotine, and amphetamines are drugs that actually work for reading. I would imagine cocaine would be good too but I've never tried it so I can't be sure.

When I smoke weed I just end up watching Spongebob or Sailor Moon and still barely understand what's going on, it's a fun time though.

I tried reading GR after smoking some weed and, as expected, I didn't get anything out of it. I laughed and had fun but I needed to go back and reread all that.
>>
>>8293190
Yes.
>>
>>8293190
>>been doing good for about a month

You might be more prone to addiction or something, but if you can go without weed for a month then I think it's safe to say you're not addicted. There's nothing wrong with doing things you like. If you find yourself doing it every week then there might be a problem on route.
If my friend left some weed at my house I'd probably smoke it too; I'm hardly an addict and have only smoked like 10 times in my entire life. If you were actually addicted you would be seeking it out and would not rely on chance to get your fix.

"Junk is the ideal product . . . the ultimate merchandise. No sales talk necessary. The client will crawl through a sewer and beg to buy. . . . The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product."
- Burroughs

Also if you ever find yourself saying or thinking "I could quit any time I want, I just don't want to," then you really have a problem and should seek help.
>>
>>8293253
do you have a 4chan addiction currently?
>>
>>8282724
I always read when I'm stoned. When I was younger it was impossible, but now that my tolerance is higher and my mind is a little sharper I can read effortlessly. I am a complete failure when I try to read nonfiction or study or pay attention to a lecture stoned. Going to High School stoned is fine for me, it didn't affect my grades at all, but don't try that shit in a college class you will definitely fail. There's just too many different variables and responsibilities you have to juggle at that time in order to be stoned 24/7 like I was in High School.
>>
>>8293259
I wouldn't say just 4chan but an internet addiction in general. Yes.
>>
>>8293269
#rekt
>>
I used to smoke quite a bit a few months ago. I think I spend like 250 dollars on two weeks worth of bud but I ended up smoking it in less than three days.
At first I thought it helped me work things out in my mind but now I've realized it's just another distraction like caffeine or nicotine.
I think it's kind of funny that Bob Marley is so commonly merchandised these days. I think he betrayed his roots for trying to commercialize the Rastafarian image. Now anyone can say they practice Rastafarianism but they don't have a single clue what that means. They just see a picture of Marley and think that shit is sacred but then will be huge consumerists the next moment.
Rastafarian is almost a brand name now
>>
No. I can't read while i'm stoned. My mind will wander a lot until i discover that i read the same settence 20 times.
Listening to music is the only thing i like to do when i'm stoned.
>>
File: 1429370479388.png (635 KB, 669x463) Image search: [Google]
1429370479388.png
635 KB, 669x463
>>8293272
And you're not addicted to the internet?
>>
>>8293338
no, i'm on the internet
>>
>>8282724
was nice for the ice castle or whatever that story is named about the dumb loli who explores the ice. very comfy
>>
>>8293358
It's summer in the south senpai.
>>
>>8293338
I could quit anytime I want, I just don't want to.
>>
>>8293317
/thread
>>
>>8282796
>T3

What do you mean by this? I searched it and came up with a hormone called Triiodothyronine, but I couldn't find any pills with that online. Also I don't get why you would take that to begin with.
>>
>>8282732
as much as i want this to be something a teenager made
it's too good
>>
>>8282796
>Trap music
ya blew it
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.