[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resuming With The Romans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1468195477575.jpg (3 MB, 6100x3721) Image search: [Google]
1468195477575.jpg
3 MB, 6100x3721
Just ordered most of this. Did I get memed?
>>
yeah
>>
None of those people existed.
>>
>>8282383
Nobody exists except for me
>>
the guy that said he was gonna fix this chart still hasnt done it
>>
>>8282424
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>8282427
None of those people existed.
>>
>no Satyricon
>>
>>8282379
worst chart ive seen on this board
>>
>>8282445
How so? What is it missing?
>>
>>8282424
I'm the guy who kept bitching about the earlier charts. I think this is the third version, and although it's not perfect it's much better than the earlier ones.

Considering the huge volume of work that came from Rome or was about Rome and written during Roman supremacy, nailing down just a handful of texts to give various perspectives of both the Republic and the Empire is really tough. OP's chart isn't as comprehensive as our Greek charts are for classical Greece, simply because it can't be thorough while maintaining a similar conciseness. So while this Roman chart doesn't tell you everything worth reading, and leaves out not only major writers of the era but also major works of the writers already mentioned (majority of Livy, much of Tacitus), what it does do pretty remarkably well is give you a taste of different genres (history, poetry, rhetoric, philosophy) and introduce you to many if undeniably not all the big names of the era.

Considering the brevity demanded of a chart like this, and that most people don't want to read all of Livy or spend hundreds of dollars buying Loeb editions, this chart is actually quite good. All I would change while trying to retain the current scale of the project is:

-Swap Caesar's Gallic war for his or Appian's civil war texts; Appian gives more information on more events, but his writing is not as iconic as Caesar's
-Drop Josephus, maybe replacing him with Polybius' history of the Punic wars, Second Punic War especially. Livy's account of the 2nd war is more captivating, but Polybius is an extremely venerated historian well worth knowing alongside the likes of Thucydides and Tacitus.

All in all, well done OP. Pretty damn good job.
>>
>>8282385
I exist
>>
>>8282517
Prove it
>>
>>8282518
Cogito ergo sum, phaggotus
>>
>>8282379
Ovid and Virgil are two of the greatest authors ever, like top 10 (at least)
>>
>>8282523
QED, I guess. That makes two of us

>>8282525
I've already read (and quite like) Virgil, in the original latin. Looking forward to the Ovid, tho.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.