[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is this the new Stoner? I find it incredible that some book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
So is this the new Stoner?

I find it incredible that some book no one outside of hungry and quality literary circles have hear of for 30 something years suddenly becomes "one of the best reads of 2015"
>>
I have seen it in the library once.
I don't know why it's significant.
How is the english translation btw?
>>
I read it and it was pretty good
>>
I always scroll past this and see the Trystero horn on the cover. Too bad it's not a Lot 49 spinoff.

Maybe I'll write one.
>>
>>8282128

No way I'm reading this, the title is too simple. 'What you reading mate?' 'The Door'. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>8287959
No, it's "The Door (NYRB Classic)".
>>
>author named the character after herself

Hard pass
>>
Is it the book version about the Game Of Thrones episode of the same title?
>>
>>8282128
It's become appropriate. There's a woman in Downing Street for the first time since the book was published and one potentially railroading herself to the White House. People will say it's written for Hungary, but they put the more immediate situation down first. You can respect Magda for her achievements, but you can resent her for her dispassion. You can respect Emmerence for her care, and resent her for her control.

Take for example Cynthia Zarin. She's a fucking mess. She put the review in the New Yorker (she also wrote "The Astronomical Hen": It’s perfectly clear she doesn’t lay eggs / Can it be she’s simply in love with herself?") probably because, as she later admits, she couldn't suffer making friends with her housekeeper. Because once you're put in the workplace, with all the abstract office art against the very physical home furnishings, you get to the point you're writing books with "no one poem so visually striking that it stands in stark" (probably the best review of that book).

That and a movie was picked up a few years ago, and a new translation was put through a few years before that, which the New York Times (deciding, as it does, to try playing God again) featured in its 'classics' reviews (for some reason) in 2015.
>>
Picked this up used at the library sale table just because of the imprint; now I'm glad I did.
>>
>female author

Nope.
>>
>>8288247
>her
Hard pass because I'm a bitter faggot
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.