[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shakespeare's English errors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Shakespeare.jpg (2 MB, 1943x2489) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare.jpg
2 MB, 1943x2489
Do all of Shakespeare's plays contain grammatical mistakes?

As I was reading Hamlet, I realised that there were many mistakes in his English and I started to wonder if this was even English at all. I couldn't understand what the characters were saying because of the bad grammar and awful vocabulary. And apparently Shakespeare creates his own new words? Like how am I supposed to understand anyone's writing if they just start creating uncommon new words from their bottoms?

An example of bad grammar:
"Horatio
Before my God, I might not this believe"

Like did Shakespeare even study English at all or did he just start writing because he was broke? Compared to a writer like John Green, his English is horrible. Why do we even have to study him when his English is below average? I know for sure that he wouldn't be able to pass any English test, except if it was for kindergarten child.
>>
Not even remotely funny.
>>
>>8279369
Contribute with relevant comments please.
>>
>>8279358
>Like did Shakespeare even study English at all or did he just start writing because he was broke?
What the fuck are you even on about? Before faking his death, he received an MA from Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and he even translated some works from Latin into English.
It's likely that he was a prolific polyglot, and not a fucking "below average" English speaker
>>
>>8279358
this is funny to me
>>
Finally some quality bait
>>
>>8280710
Could you provide a source to support what you're saying? I doubt he knew Latin. He probably knew Latin as much as he knew English, which is bad.

And why would he fake his death? Is he still alive?
>>
>>8279358
Here's a (You)
>>
>>8280729
Not really. Especially with a post like >>8281101
>>
>>8279358
Aw come on dude, your troll was almost believable until you compared him to Green. 6/10, almost good.
>>
>>8280729

Nearly walked into that one, self-referential little faggot.
>>
>>8281169
What are you on about? First of all, this is not a troll or a bait thread. Second of all, I compared him to Green to show that he's not as proficient in the English language as much as any common bad writer is. It was to show how bad of a writer he is.
>>
>>8279358
Yup, sounds like a case of autism
>>
>>8281327
I don't know if Shakespeare had autism or not, but that's an interesting theory that should be taken into consideration. Autism could explain his unusual English.
>>
>>8281379
haha now this one was a good bait :DDD

(I will be saging my posts in this thread)
>>
You should find a copy of The Tragedy of Arthur.
Its his most obscure play and rarely performed because its so full of errors.
Interesting because its only one of two Shakespeare plays to mention America and because it predicts a naval disaster similar to The Titanic.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 189x267
Tragedy of Arthur is pleb tier
>>
>>8281516
>>8281519
Shakespeare loves writing tragedies, but he never realised his own tragedy: his writing.

Is The Tragedy of Arthur even authentic? I'm not surprised it's full of errors; all of his plays are. I doubt it's obsecure for meaningful reasons, I bet it's the result of his hideous English.
>>
this thread is giving me a fucking headache
>>
>>8281832
Shakespeare's plays give me headaches too.
>>
>>8280729

mentioning John Green ruined it imo
>>
>>8279358

Shakespeare lived in a time before the standardization of English; and his improper use of grammar is the playfulness of a man who full knows the rules, and chooses to break them on purpose.

Consider this your token serious response for such a repugnant expression of crass ignorance.
>>
>>8281101

>And why would he fake his death? Is he still alive?

Of course not. Shakespeare died centuries ago. There is no possible way I could be alive.
>>
>>8282845
>his improper use of grammar is the playfulness of a man who full knows the rules, and chooses to break them on purpose.

First of all, you sound like a hardcore Shakespeare fanboy. Second, your reasoning is flawed. How would I know the difference between a retard's writing and an educated man's writing? By judging the quality of their grammar and vocabulary!

I could argue that the retard's nonsensical writing was done on purpose which shows that he's a man who full knows the rules.

Would you hail me as a genius if I started creating new words and writing without following the basic rules of grammar? No, of course not. Nor should you hail Shakespeare.
>>
>>8282860
I know, I was being sarcastic.
>>
>>8282882
>By judging the quality of their grammar and vocabulary!

All this means is that there is no difference between any writing so long as it's grammatically correct. That is to say the things I wrote when I was ten are the equal of the greatest writers in the world.

I know it's b8, it was just too tasty.
>>
>>8279358
Oh, that's because English grammar is so primitive and word order so rigid that Shakespeare merely had to resort to some concessions.
>>
>>8282889

wow
>>
>>8284573
face it kit (or should I say william), nobody cares that you're still alive
>>
>>8283247
Let me elaborate: the quality of a writing is measured by the grammar and verbal IQ of the writer, and the depth of its ideas and sophistication.
>>
>>8284551
Or maybe it's because Shakespeare is no more than a fraud who lacks the intellectual faculties to write intelligibly.
>>
>>8279358
>Horatio
>Before my God, I might not this believe
>Vor meinem Gott, Ich möchte das beileibe nicht.
It's good German; I'd even say it's fancy German. I believe it's not Shakespeare who did not know how to speak English but it's the rest of your upper classes whose Frisian Plattdeutsch skills went down the closet. No wonder he's the only author all the English speakers hold in high esteem.
>>
>>8282889
You don't know how sarcasm works
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.