[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best novel written by an African-American and why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: chip.gif (19 KB, 174x250) Image search: [Google]
chip.gif
19 KB, 174x250
What is the best novel written by an African-American and why is it Hogg, by Samuel R. Delany?
>>
But that's wrong, the best novel written by an African-American is Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany.

Hogg was pretty good though.
>>
>>8279353
I like that Delany didn't go the muh oppression route with his novels.
>>
>>8279353
Is Hogg the thing about the pedophile with the boy sex slaves or whatever?
>>
>>8279353
>>8279413
>talking to yourself
>>
>>8279427
there's a replies/posters at the bottom of the thread, newfag
>>
>>8279353
death and the kings horseman

big fuck you to the british without actually going overboard
>>
>>8279425

Essentially yes, although Hogg is mainly a professional rapist of women.
>>
>>8279423
He's the only black American to write something different in the last 50 years.
>>
>>8279434
calling soyinka "african american" is a pretty big fucking stretch
>>
>>8279353
>>8279413

It's actually The Mad Man by Samuel R. Delany.
>>
>>8279434
>>8279516

It's more than a stretch - he's a Nigerian who's taught at American universities.
>>
Hell, calling Delaney "African-American" (an idiotic term) is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>8279434
>>8279516
>>8279524

... and Death and the King's Horseman is a play, of course, not a novel.
>>
>>8279524
He's an actual "African-American" though. Of course, OP was talking about black Americans, so he still wouldn't fit.
>>
>>8279536

No, you see, the difference between what you're saying and what we said, is that what we said is valid. You've named a play by a Nigerian when asked for a novel by an African-American. Second, even taking into account African-American being 'an idiotic term', Delany fulfils all the requirements of being so called. Stop digging, son.
>>
It's Trick Baby by Iceberg Slim.
>>
>>8279413
>>8279522

I'm glad nobody's trying to suggest the best novel written by an African-American is by someone other than Samuel R. Delany.
>>
>>8279548
>>8279547
what now bitch?
>>
>>8279548
It's actually Samuel R. Delaney by Samuel L. Jackson.
>>
>>8279551

Sheeeet
>>
>>8279542
I didn't name any Nigerian play, son. I was simply saying that Delany looks like an old white guy.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/EYCF4OZ.png
>>
>>8279598

Yeah, everyone who ever saw him made that observation already. He is an African-American though. Why you echoed the post about the Nigerian Soyinka to make your observation, I don't know.
>>
>>8279612
>Yeah, everyone who ever saw him made that observation already.

Aw, you're saying I'm a hack, aren't you? Don't you care at all about my feelings?

>He is an African-American though.

Still a dumb term, and he still looks like an old white guy.

>Why you echoed the post about the Nigerian Soyinka to make your observation, I don't know.

The truth is that I just felt like it.
>>
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Delaney hasn't been outside in 60 years.
>>
>>8279353
Does Sam even count as 'black'? He looks almost albino
>>
File: young samuel delaney.jpg (27 KB, 230x320) Image search: [Google]
young samuel delaney.jpg
27 KB, 230x320
>>8279986
He's black because he's of African descent

He's probably like 75% Northern European if you look at genetics, but thanks to the one drop rule he's African American
>>
>>8279975

DELANY. No E.

>>8280017

I admire your decision to post a pic showing Delany looking as black as Muhammed Ali with a text claiming he's basically white. Attacking the opposing argument at its strongest point, I guess?
>>
>>8279505
professional, eh? i wonder if they have a union.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.