[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bible study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: shatnaz.jpg (17 KB, 572x81) Image search: [Google]
shatnaz.jpg
17 KB, 572x81
What did the bible mean by this?
>>
>>8278831
What do you think it means, dumbass? Delete this thread.
>>
It means polyester/cotton blends are equal to sodomym
But Jesus made all these rules go away. So unless you are a Jew, you can wear t-shirts and practice sodomy.
>>
>>8278867
Doesn't the bible seem to say the Jesus saved us all already so sins are pretty much a non-issue? I'll see you cunts in heaven. I'll be the one with a rotting dick and track marks on my thighs.
>>
>>8278841
Usually I can think of a metaphor a passage is making, because that is what a book written a thousand years ago is going to be filled with, you fucking retard.

Hundreds of years of the telephone game, and you think such a specific command like not mixing wool and linen is going to be the exact same as it was back when it was first told? That that was the literal meaning as it was first told? Holy fuck you're dumb.
>>
>>8278867
>Jesus made all these rules go away
citation needed
>>
It's a ceremonial law and no longer applicable to Christians as it has been fulfilled by Christ (read Thomas Aquinas).
>>
>>8278878
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_views_on_the_Old_Covenant#Catholic
>>
>>8278831
the clashing textures just look tacky Tbh

and yes, a real patrician WILL spot this instantly
>>
In the context of the lines around it should be apparent. Don't sew two kinds of seed together, don't plow with two different animals, don't combine fabrics from different sources. God created them different for a reason and combining them would not preserve God's intent.
>>
>>8278875
No, its literal
The Old Testament is full of shit like this. Only Orthodox Jews observe it.
Btw, go fuck yourself.
BTW, you're a
>>
>>8278875
Deuteronomy was literally a law book
>>
>>8278887

This. God hates shitty suits.
>>
>>8278873
>>8278867
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
>>
>>8278831
"This was in opposition to Zabian priests, who wore robes of woolen and linen, perhaps hoping thereby to have the benefit of some lucky conjunction of planets which would bring a blessing on their sheep and flax. It is said that the pious Jews would not sew a garment of woolen with a linen thread, and that if one saw an Israelite wearing a garment of mixed cloth it was lawful for him to fall upon him and tear the forbidden garment to pieces."
>>
File: 200_s.gif (11 KB, 287x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
11 KB, 287x200
>>8278878
>holy text given to us humans by god
oh it's a ceremonial law tho disregard it

LO L
>>
>>8278955
Old testament
New testament

Testament = covanent

The new replaces the old
>>
>>8278982
>The new replaces the old
why, i thought it was a holy book
>>
>>8278991
Read them and find out
>>
>>8278991
They update every thousand years, or messianic ascension, whichever...comes first
>>
>>8279011
>thousand years
really?
>>8279004
I probably should, honestly just wondering about the entire thing. I do have my questions about the (seemingly arbitrary) seeing of literal sentences as metaphors, and just "believing" in the new testament instead of the old for again, a seemingly random reason
>>
>>8279102
well first off, it's not a book. It's 66 books assembled into 2 separate testaments written by dozens of men over a span of hundreds of years.
That context alone should help offer some perspective.

People see a bunch of pages between a single cover and all the sudden it's a fucking circus of pseuds
>>
>>8279102
No. It was a joke. In the Bible's own terms it would be about 4k years from The Garden to Jesus...but thats all horseshit.
>>
>>8279102
Some of the books are history, some are law, some are poetry, some are prophetic. You can't read every book in the bible the same.
Jesus came to fulfil the law. This means that Christ completed the sacrificial system that became necessary because of sin.
Essentially the laws of the pentateuch were fulfilled, but the 10 commandments still stand. This is my understanding at least.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (8 KB, 216x144) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
8 KB, 216x144
>>8279123
"Its Frankenstein's *monster*! Frankenstein was the one who made him..."
>>
>>8279151
>>8279140
>>8279123
but, what about the gorey 'metaphors' in the old testament? I can't remember exactly which, but I recall a man trading his daughter for an angel, to a mob of men outside knocking on his door, and she ended up being raped to death and her limbs spread around Israel. also, the part where daughters got their dad drunk and had sex with him, and jesus who removed demons from someone and cast them into pigs who ran into the sea?
maybe i'm just being short-sighted, but to me i can't quite relate this to an all-knowing all-powerful god

is the KJV a good place to start in terms of reading the bible?
>>
>>8279170
Those aren't metaphors
>>
File: 1467806680387.jpg (34 KB, 500x581) Image search: [Google]
1467806680387.jpg
34 KB, 500x581
>>8279155
the effort put into this shitpost is more of a downer than the content of this shitpost.
also, straw man, non-sequitor, reddit faggot, various insults at your intelligence, etc etc
>>
>>8279170
When Jesus is telling stories , he used parables. Sometimes other people in the Bible (the priest to King David, e.g ) use parables. But when the Bible is not quoting someone, no matter how horrible, its meant to describe events that happened.
"Can't relate this to all knowing all powerful god".
Haha. Welcome to Christianity. There us a big difference in character between the God of the OT and the NT.
Read Genesis. Gods behavior and reasoning make no sense.
How do you rationalize the events like those Bible stories that actually happen in real life?
>>
>>8279191
Butthurt
>>
DUDE
>>
>sin loads
>confess
see you in heaven
>>
>reads thread
Like, five words for 99% of this thread:
That's not how it works :/
>>
>>8279311
That's not how green texting works, lebbit.
>>
>>8279311
Thanks for the insight, Rev. Chillingworth.
>>
>>8278982
Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."
>>
>>8278982
Why do people have a hard on for Leviticus 18:22? Is it just because they hate gays and are using a religious excuse?
>>
>>8278831
A lot of the ritual laws of the OT had sanitary/practical reasons behind them. I mean even if you think the Bible is all made up by man (or maybe especially if you think that) it doesn't make sense that they would include rules that simply made no sense.

Don't ask me what it might have been here though. When we were kids we raised sheep and I remember their wool was really greasy. Maybe the grease doesn't mix well with the linen?
>>
>NASB
This means you're a pleb.
Also what's up with Americans and Biblical literalism? You do realise that Sola Scriptura is heretical and destructive, right?
>>
>>8280228
>>8280248

See >>8279151
>>
>>8281111
a lot of it was to have power over the citizens. so the poor people could't mix materials, so had drab clothing, and the 'priest' and ruling class would have the good shit for themselves and the poor ppl would say 'holy shit how are their clothes so good, they truly must be better than us"

this makes more sense with the mixing of crops
>>
>>8281121
The OT says not to eat shellfish too. This is because the rich were hogging all the oysters to themselves right?
>>
/tv/ tier thread 2bh, kys senpai
>>
>>8281124
It's because God is allergic to fruits de mer.
>>
>>8281121

Except this rule would have applied to the ruling class as well.
>>
>>8278867
True. Jesus overrides all the old rules.
>>
>>8281118
>Also what's up with Americans and Biblical literalism? You do realise that Sola Scriptura is heretical and destructive, right?

The fuck. Who told you that?
>>
>>8278873
On all levels it's arguable. Is it the Baptist type thing that believes in whether you're saved or not being predestined p much? Definitely some of the early Baptists (and really protestants in general) believed nobody was saved because the rites like baptism had been tainted with sin. And yes others believe that all the Jewish laws still apply and basically Jesus totally wasn't a critic of Judaism at the time at all and basically a super Jew (this is currently the fashionable historical interpretation, that Jesus hated and rebelled against Roman/Greek influence but loved traditional conservative Judaism (it's total bullshit btw))

The fairly orthodox-as-in-common interpretation is where he says he's not changing the old laws he means the spirit of those laws, and imo that all fits in better with everything in the gospels. If you take a more polarised view you have to throw out large chunks that don't agree with you one way or another.
>>
There was a part in the Gospel where Jesus sent some people to go do something on a Sabbath. People said he was breaking the rules of the old testament. Jesus replied saying the Sabbath was created to help man, not the other way around.

There was probably some sort of inherent problem in the time of the old testament where mixing wool and linen together would cause problems. Thus the bible warned against it. It was to help people.

Jesus also said that the food you eat and the clothes you wear are harmless on account of the fact that nobody is being hurt, as opposed to greed or pride or lust which hurts other people or yourself.

That's my interpretation of the conflict between the new and old testament.
>>
>>8280248
Basically.
>>
>>8280248

>>8279151. I can understand you or anyone disliking Christianity and its teachings but please do us the favour of properly studying it and identifying it before you criticise it.

I assume you get angry when a dumb hick says something like 'i aint from no monkey', so why would you do the same
>>
>>8283776
I don't dislike nor was a I criticizing Christianity. I don't see where you got that from what I said.
>>
you know just while we're on The Bible, what's the best physical edition? I'm talking KJV but I don't which is the best published one. Oxford world's classics have one but it's 1800 pages in paperback
>>
>>8285209
Depends what you want. Some have better notes and scholarship. Mine has the Gustave Dore illustrations, which I like. Hardback vs paperback. Etc.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.