[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone into Westerns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Western Meme Trilogy.png (928 KB, 957x499) Image search: [Google]
Western Meme Trilogy.png
928 KB, 957x499
Anyone into Westerns?
>>
does anyone have the link to the Blood Meridian review done by the shirtless obese guy?
>>
>le nyrb shill
fuck off
>>
>>8276460
Loved BM, looking to get Butcher's Crossing.

Have you read McCarthy's Border Trilogy?
>>
Butcher's Crossing is beautiful. Williams literally feels good to me to just read.
>>
Has anyone read Morning River by W. Michael Gear?
>>
>>8276470
I've only read butcher's crossing. But the intro mentioned Blood Meridian and Warlock as other great westerns. It's not a genre I thought I would be interested in, but it seems to have some great works.

Butcher's crossing was stunning. William's prose is perfection. He can really build a picture in your mind.
>>
File: Il_Grande_Silenzio_Poster.png (560 KB, 310x615) Image search: [Google]
Il_Grande_Silenzio_Poster.png
560 KB, 310x615
love 'em. haven't read many, though.
>>
Speaking of westerns: how is Lonesome Dove?
>>
Loved Warlock and Butcher's Crossing.

>>8277266
It's a good read. Great characters and it's quite funny at times and moving at others.
>>
>>8276467
Wait, what's wrong with NYRB?
>>
>>8276460
I've only read butcher's crossing out of those three and it was way better than I expected it to be
>>
True Grit book >>> True Grit movie
>>
I read Lonesome Dove when I was young, and the idea of driving cattle to Montana has always stuck with me. Montana has that air of old country, wild and American. Now Im older and only think of Ted Turner. Lonesome Dove is a great book though
>>
>>8277330
Nothing, they are great. The reason it looks like shilling is that a full torrent of their work went out in the last few share threads and now people are actually reading/subscribing to them only 79.95 a year!
>>
>>8277266
Very much a sentimentalist novel for a casual audience, but also a very strong narrative and super comfy.

Basically the kind of novel your old uncle would read by the fire.
>>
File: shane-book-cover.jpg (24 KB, 316x468) Image search: [Google]
shane-book-cover.jpg
24 KB, 316x468
Also, The Oregon Trail was quite good. My mom had a copy and I read it like 15 times between 10 and 14, probably because of the game.
>>
>>8277577
My soulseek uploads are like 50% NYRB
>>
>>8277285
>>8277565
>>8277579
I'll pick it up next time I have some money, it sounds like something that would be perfect Autumn reading.
>>
Nobody mentions The Beetle Leg by Hawkes is a western, it's fantastic
>>
File: Vollmann-Dying-Grass.jpg (42 KB, 329x499) Image search: [Google]
Vollmann-Dying-Grass.jpg
42 KB, 329x499
>>8277596
>Hawkes posting
At least its something new. Cannibal and Lime Twig is on my todo list

I tried this one and though i didnt finish I will probably go back to it. Its fucking chaotic post-modernism but def an interesting western. He has a couple of them.
>>
>>8277623
What's wrong with Hawkes?
>>
>>8276612
Great Film.. One of the most underrated westerns of all time.
>>
>>8277623
>Hawkes posting
>At least its something new. Cannibal and Lime Twig is on my todo list
what are you trying to say here
>>
>>8276470
Not OP. But I just finished All the Pretty Horses. Gonna read the following two soon enough. You like em? I've also read BM, Child of God, The Road and No Country for Old Men. I just want to read all of his novels at this point. I like em and they're easy to move through. Looking forward to Sutree for sure. Have you read it?
>>
>>8277623
I've been wanting to read this. What exactly makes it 'chaotically post-modern?'
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.