[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /lit/s opinion on Dune? Sounds interesting. Is it pleb tier?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: FrankHerbert_Dune_1st (1).jpg (25 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
FrankHerbert_Dune_1st (1).jpg
25 KB, 250x350
What is /lit/s opinion on Dune?
Sounds interesting. Is it pleb tier?
>>
>>8276454
Most people recognize it for the influence it had on genrefic which is second only to LOTR but few would call it high literature. People who either never read it or didn't understand it will call it sci-fi. It's really fantasy more than anything.

I think there are some strong literary themes though, it deconstructs heroism, kind of looks at the idea of the Ubermensch (at least in terms of a being who ascends to a superhuman status) as a curse and burden rather than a blessing and liberation from man's expectations. I think the series should end with the 4th book since the arc established in 5/6 was unfinished (KJA garbage isn't comparable).

Books 1 and 4 are the best, 2 and 3 are weak in terms of prose but continue the plot in ways that are necessary for understanding 4.
>>
I love the book. Most considerate as close to "literary" sciene-ficition as anything from that sect of lit gets.
>>
>>8276475
Like the anon above my quoted post mentions, the theme of heroism being a burden is significant and one of my favorite parts. I've read 1 and 2, and 2 is my favorite cause it dives into that theme in a really cool way after the events and the tone of the first book.
>>
I'm reading the shitty Kevin j Anderson books right now
>>
>>8276500
why the fuck would you inflict that on yourself?
>>
Anyone heard the audible version of this? It seems to have gotten a lot of mixed reviews.
>>
If you're going into it because people hyped up the world building or politics then prepare to be fucking disappointed cause it's mostly a pulp adventure sci fi with some immatured subtext that thinks it's being deep.
>>
File: Ninja.jpg (102 KB, 450x415) Image search: [Google]
Ninja.jpg
102 KB, 450x415
Bene-Gesserit Tier

What does /lit/ know of the other memory ?

Power of the Voice?

>>8276603
>>
File: Butlerian_Jihad.jpg (121 KB, 800x407) Image search: [Google]
Butlerian_Jihad.jpg
121 KB, 800x407
>>8276500
i'm sure there's a twelve-step program for that.
>>
>>8276798
>some immatured subtext

you don't into power politics at all, do you? perhaps your priorities will change once you get out of grade school.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.