[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know of any books that'll make me funnier?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Anyone know of any books that'll make me funnier?
>>
>>8272633
Captain Underpants
>>
>>8272633
your/my diary
>>
What about something that'd make me more interesting to be around?
>>
No. To be better at making people laugh study things that make people laugh.
Watch stand up, comedies and especially high quality comedy shows. If Seinfeld and the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons don't teach you how to be funny nothing will.
>>
>>8272675
I should say study, not watch.
Also comedy is deeply entwined with pattern recognition. The audience laughs when they suddenly recognize the pattern you've been building. Even anti-comedy works this way, the audience realizes that there is no punchline coming and the joke has been on them and recognizing the hidden pattern enlisted that joyful reward emotion that is laughter.
>>
>>8272680
Take Norm MacDonalds classic joke, "Ya know I've been reading a lot about Hitler and the more I learn about this fella, the more I don't care for him."

The audience is familiar enough with comedy to expect some play upon their expectations. Some clever reversal of the normal pattern associated with Hitler. Instead it's the most banal possible Hitler pattern, and they realize the real pattern has been a play upon their expectation of a twist. That the real idea being presented is the one that is the most true but also the most common.
>>
>>8272675
>>8272680
>>8272691

Thanks.
>>
I don't know of any book but I advice you to deconstruct the jokes you find funny.
>>
Read serious books then do the opposite of what they do.
>>
Infinite Jest and American Psycho.
>>
>>8272675
THIS
>>
>>8272633
>Will never have Mary e winstead stare into my eyes like that
>>
Reading Shakespeare upped my pun game desu
>>
>>8272633
who is this smurfin urchin?
>>
>>8273436
unoriginal b8
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.