[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
now I be cry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: 2016-03-29-23-02-05-820066325.jpg (7 KB, 238x179) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-29-23-02-05-820066325.jpg
7 KB, 238x179
now I be cry
>>
Why do you cry? Was it a good book? Did pinecone make you feel?
>>
>>8272412
yes he did. I thought it was good but not great, until the last transit. then he hit it out of the park. now I can't stop thinking about those lovable idiots.
>>
>>8272407
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8272434
he
>>
I thought it was a great book, I wish I'd read it before Gravity's Rainbow though.
>>
>>8272434
>he says
>not "he sez"

0/10 trash
>>
>>8272446
yeah it was awesome. it's my favorite of his now.
>>
>>8272455
For a weird twisted way of making this >>8272458 my coherent thought. Which kind of sums up my experience of Pynchon.
>>
File: 1465031273738-b.jpg (38 KB, 750x718) Image search: [Google]
1465031273738-b.jpg
38 KB, 750x718
>>8272434
>>
>>8272434
am I the only one who loves this pasta? seriously lmao out loud every time i read it
>>
>>8272464
>am I the only one who loves this pasta?

yes
>>
>>8272466
okay thanks
>>8272407
I'm reading crying of lot 49 atm, should I move on to this before gravity's rainbow? I don't really want to read V it doesn't sound very interesting
>>
>>8272474
I think mason and dixon is a better story than gravity's rainbow. but gravity's rainbow is also somehow on a other level. it's wild man!
>>
>>8272486
that's epic my dude! yeah I might to MD next, I'm about to finish the other big MD of yank literature and think it would be a nice transition :)
>>
>>8272474
V is unreal, better than M&D.
>>
>>8272516
Objectively wrong. Quit baiting. Your copypasta is shit-tier.
>>
>>8272531
You are very bad at discerning quality and should read more before you decide to offer your critical opinion.
>>
>>8272407
Whatever the intellect that went into the construction of this fiction, it's still and always a joy to read. This is what, for me, differentiates Pynchon from his peers. He's fun, playful, cheeky, mischievous, sometimes even outrageous.
>>
>>8272545
>new post
>IP count remains the same

really makes you think
>>
>>8272554
shut up who cares, it's time for some zany, goofy slapstick buffoonery!
>>
>>8272549
/lit/ is a pro-Pynchon board. Take your pleb opinions elsewhere.

>>8272572
Are you the same loser who keep spamming the Cormac McCarthy memes?
>>
>>8272626
that's multiple users my friend
>>
File: cheshire.png (43 KB, 252x254) Image search: [Google]
cheshire.png
43 KB, 252x254
>>8272634
>>
>>8272540
You know man, you're not even arguing with him, you're just contradicting him.
>how's trump like hitler?
>ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Try actually explaining your reasoning instead of saying "Well, if you don't know then I can't tell you."
>>
>>8272796
not either of them but that post, actually none of their posts, are worth a detailed reply
pointing out that it's full of shit for the benefit of any other lurking newfags is all that's warranted
(that said obviously V. isn't near the quality of M&D in any single way)
>>
>>8272812
I have only read tcol49
Do I read V. or M&D next, and why
>>
>>8272812
But the point is, what makes M&D's quality so high compared to V's? In not asking this for the sake of argument or to be contrary, but out of genuine interest.
>>
>>8272434
I also love Pynchon, because he's like me: intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>8272626
>Are you the same loser who keep spamming the Cormac McCarthy memes?
actually I'm not even the guy spamming the pasta, I just find it genuinely funny in an autistic way so decided to help out
>>
>>8272945
>what makes M&D's quality so high compared to V's?
the prose is much better controlled; it doesn't stretch itself into "the point is that there is no point"; the book does not overly rely on artificial structuring and (although it meanders at times, it's still Pynchon after all) has coherence; it is secure in the fact that plot is not at its core; the silliness is not approached with affected distance; there are feels.
All of this only makes sense when you look at when he wrote those books in time. You get an expert at the craft rather than a young dog madly running in every direction at the same time. Maybe some of the images in the more surreal passages of V. don't find as visually striking matches in M&D, but the latter doesn't lack in poetry

>>8272945
whichever you want, unless you're afraid of giving up on Pynchon if V. isn't fun enough in which case M&D first, unless you're afraid you can't handle both of his syntax and the archaic-flavored language yet in which case V or GR
>>
>>8273107
His control over the story, I suppose. It's been a while since I read V., but I remember some parts of the book either sticking out, like he didn't think them through, while others seemed like he just went for the easiest symbolism so he could work on other parts.

On M&D, the control of the book's atmosphere and rhythm is uncanny.
>>
File: IV.jpg (488 KB, 2048x1024) Image search: [Google]
IV.jpg
488 KB, 2048x1024
>>8272407
never read any pinecone

where do i start? is

crying lot of 49
IV
M&D
GR

good?

also i started reading the first few pages of lot49 and found it p difficult guys should i put it down then re read it at another time?
>>
>>8273329
Crying of Lot 49 is probably his easiest and most accessible, anon. If you find it difficult, try reading it a lot slower than you usually would and don't let having to re-read sentences or passages frequently and thoroughly get you down - TCoL49 is his most accessible, but it's still pretty dense in terms of prose. Overall, it's a pretty funny, peculiar mystery that shouldn't be taken as seriously as the protagonist Oedipa Maas takes it.

Just take your time with it, my man. If it ever starts going over your head, feel free to bring it up for discussion here or wherever else people discuss literature. It's a great book and helps in establishing Pynchon's distinctive style as a writer (which he perfects in GR imo).
>>
It's what happens when your mate dies. ;_______;
>>
>>8272796
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=v+by+thomas+pynchon+review
>>
>>8274477
You know, I was actually hoping that maybe for once anon could give his honest personal feedback instead of relying on critics--smarter and more literate though may they be--to tell him how to feel/think about a book, but boy you sure convinced me via that link how wrong I was.
>>
>>8272474
>I don't really want to read V it doesn't sound very interesting

Then you've been misled. It's fantastic.
>>
>>8274732
>I want someone to spoonfeed me criticism that's already been said before because I'm too lazy to use Google
>>
>>8272486
>>8272513
Gravity's Rainbow and V. were both better. M&D is fun, and probably the closest thing to vintage Pinecone he put out post GR, but it's never quite reaches the highs or lows of those two.
>>
>>8273228
>>8273265
See, that's subjective though. Having more control over the events creates a greater sense of cohesion, but there's a certain intensity you can only get from allowing it to run its own course.

Letting Dionysus take the helm is a risky proposition, but the results have the potential to be far more sublime than they'd be if you just painted by the numbers according to a design the entire time.
>>
>>8272412
I don't get this pinecone nickname. It's not Pine-chon, it's Pin-chon. Where is this "pine" coming from?
>>
>>8274935
>the closest thing to vintage Pinecone he put out post GR

I'm confused, anon. GR was his third published work. The vast majority of his output is post-GR. Is vintage Pinecone just V. and Lot 49, or are you referring to his smaller things written when he was younger?
>>
File: 1454334368696.png (913 KB, 1964x2608) Image search: [Google]
1454334368696.png
913 KB, 1964x2608
>>8275242
We will never know the true meaning of P.
>>
Serious question for you anons: what does it take for a person to write fiction like Pynchon?

The structures are always so complex, he has such an encyclopedic knowledge of so many subjects. And to balance it out, even on a sentence-by-sentence level he can write gorgeously.

So what does he have that most people don't? Is it just an obscenely good sense of creative vision that allows him to perfectly lay out something as massive in scope as Gravity's Rainbow (while simultaneously working on other projects)? Is it a preternatural grasp of symbolism and meaning, such that he can sit down to write the Crying of Lot 49 and already be fully aware of how much meaning he managed to pack in?

I get that he's probably a "genius" in the actual, literal sense of the word. But what, specifically, do you think allows him to do what he does?
>>
>>8275262
"Vintage Pynchon" is just one of those ways some people will have of referring to those of his works closer to the style of the GR writer. The same way "Pynchon lite" refers to IV, Vineland etc. Don't try to find a logic in the term, some would call AtD "vintage" too.
>>
>>8275293
In that case, speaking as someone who's only read V., Lot 49, GR, and M&D, how did his style change? I've heard the other stuff isn't quite as good, but never for a unified set of reasons.
>>
>>8275286
He's very distractable
>>
>>8275286
hard work, good research, crazy writing talent

maybe a natural tendency to link wildly different things with eachother
>>
>>8275304
barring atd, the rest is not as complex, both on a sentence level and a novel level. that is what the lite refers to. doesn't make them worse works inherently
>>
>>8275304
It's not so much about his style changing over the years (though it has in other ways) as between books. The sort of prose that you're familiar with in GR, drifting, flying, all that... it isn't there in his lighter books (Inherent Vice for instance is almost only dialogue, Bleeding Edge has more narration and his quirks are still there but it's written in a more straightforward manner, etc.)
To explain this, imagine, roughly, that he works on two books at the same time: the hard book, researched, obsessive and poetic prose..., and his thriller or detective novel, effortless in comparison.
>>
>>8275286
He has a proclivity for language that very very very few men do. But I'm thankful he chose to write stories (similar to how I'm thankful Flannery O'Connor chose to write) because we would be missing out on a lot if he hadn't.

Faulkner once said that if he hadn't written his books, someone else would have. And I often find it hard to believe the same case for Pynchon.
>>
>>8275262
V., Lot 49, and GR are "vintage". Everything from Vineland and on isn't though M&D comes close and some say AtD does as well, though this is debated.
>>
>>8275380
>Faulkner once said that if he hadn't written his books, someone else would have. And I often find it hard to believe the same case for Pynchon.

That's a very good way to put it.
>>
>>8273728
thanks a lot mate, was thinking about giving it up altogether it just didnt feel right

gonna start it again tomorrow and will be sure to ask any questions

have you read all his work? how would you rank them?
>>
File: normans.jpg (13 KB, 263x249) Image search: [Google]
normans.jpg
13 KB, 263x249
super rare pic for you lads

shhh
>>
>>8275428
Thanks
>>
>>8275543
I've not read all his work, no. I've read TCoL49, GR and I plan on reading M&D and V later this year. He can be a pretty dense writer, packing so much into only a few pages, but if you take TCoL49 fairly slowly, you'll manage to pick up on everything, really.
>>
>>8273329
start with Inherent Vice, if not, start wherever the fuck you want, you scaredy-cat
>>
>>8275562
Not as rare as I expected.
>>
>>8275286
do a lot of drugs and know about a bunch of science stuff
>>
>>8277261
Don't forget to read Against the Day. It's his second most underrated novel next to Vineland.
>>
>>8272708
>that's multiple users
Not sure if newfag or just oblivious.
>>
>>8275286
He's probably autistic, not in the 4chan sense but in the literal sense. A high funcntional autistic, though.
>>
>>8275346
>To explain this, imagine, roughly, that he works on two books at the same time: the hard book, researched, obsessive and poetic prose..., and his thriller or detective novel, effortless in comparison.
Does that mean we are due for a Pynchon opus next?
>>
>>8279517
>He's probably autistic

I very much doubt it.
>>
>>8279587
Becuase you are autistic.
>>
>>8279595
You're too young to be on 4chan.
>>
>>8279504
no its actually multiple people because I'm the one that made the video that your thinking of. I made that video because people make fun of McCarthy all the time and it was the flavor of the week lel
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.