[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Verne is generally considered a major literary author in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: costanza bat.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
costanza bat.png
457 KB, 600x450
>Verne is generally considered a major literary author in France and most of Europe, where he has had a wide influence on the literary avant-garde and on surrealism.
>His reputation is markedly different in Anglophone regions, where he has often been labeled a writer of genre fiction or children's books, largely because of the highly abridged and altered translations in which his novels are often reprinted.
>mfw the autistic butthurt patricians who spam the Harold Bloom quote about Harry Potter multiple times every single day are all Americans
>mfw the Europeans don't give a fuck and just enjoy whatever they think is good
>>
>>8272178
20,000 leagues was pretty great though.
>>
Bloom likes lots of so-called "genre fiction", you aspie, and I doubt he dislikes Verne.
>>
>>whatever they think is good
oh boy get a load of this guy
>>
>>8272178
This is true enough, but once you get good translations or read the originals (Frederick Paul Walter does accurate complete translations, though his prose style is dull), you realize that Verne is basically Stephen King: better at ideas than writing, uninclined to edit, good pulp most of the time with occasional unusual and cool stuff, mostly in his early days, has written and published way too much. Verne wrote a FUCKTON of books and stories, and most suck. I was excited to read his The Sphinx of the Ice Realm, where he continued Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym (which then later fed into Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness), and Verne's ideas, characters, plot, etc., were boring and flat as hell. I tried a few other lesser-known Verne, and believe me, he is not the author you want to read everything by. If you judge King only by Dark Tower, his short stories, and his best four or five stories (Bachman books, etc.), he looks pretty good. Read his worst, and he blows goats. Verne is the same way.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.