[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of the Culture novels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Iain M. Banks.jpg (813 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Iain M. Banks.jpg
813 KB, 2048x1536
What does /lit/ think of the Culture novels?
>>
>>8272031
They're nae bad, only read Player of Games and Use of Weapons tho
>>
>>8272031
i once compiled a list of SF futures and what you could expect if you lived in them. Banks' Culture was the only one i could find where you wouldn't be raped, murdered, tortured or enslaved.
>>
Where to start with Iain M. Banks? My local library has a ton of his books but I have no idea what to read first.
>>
>>8272031
My Dad reads them and swears they're good, I've been meaning to actually read one and see for myself. He wrote lit fic and poetry as well so I assume he's not bad. Or at least not GRRM-tier. top kek
>>
>>8272031
sensible chuckle
>>
Probably my favourite scfi author. The Culture is just a superbly imagined universe and as another anon mentioned one of the few imagined futures I'd actually want to live in.
He's great imo.
>>
>>8272031
I really liked them. I met Banks once in Stirling, seemed like a nice guy. I was saddened to hear of his death.
>>
>>8273018
I suppose that says a lot about the nature of contemporary science fiction.
>>
>>8273018
So, you're saying his books are the most unrealistic?
>>
>>8273502
I don't think it's particularly unrealistic in the context of a society run by hyper-intelligent, super-powerful, morally perfect AIs.
>>
>>8272031
Of the Culture books I've read here's my ranking:

Use of Weapons>Excession>Player of Games>Consider Phlebas>Matter>Hydrogen Sonata
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.