[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm in the process of writing a sort of coming of age,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
So I'm in the process of writing a sort of coming of age, college buddy road trip novel with multiple POV format similar to pic related where each character gets their own chapter.

Anyone know any good books with a similar POV format? Any tips or advice are welcome as well.

>inb4 just write you'll get better
I know that you dingdongs
>>
>>8271766
>coming of age, college buddy road trip

Sounds derivitive already.
>>
>>8271768
*derivative
Also, fuck off, it's nearly impossible to be original anymore. Anything that's worth making has been made at least once before. What's interesting is different people's takes on different topics and themes. A single story can be told a million different ways, which is why literature is so incredible.

So all in all, 10/10 bait would get mildly annoyed again
>>
As I Lay Dying is the obvious one
>>
>>8271766
The Waves
>>
a lot of Dan Simmons' works are either multiple POV, or guilty of head-hopping, depending on which you prefer.

like in his "Ilium", any chapter written from a first person perspective was about Hockenberry.
>>
>>8271766

Third person limited omniscient multiple POVs has ruled fantasy for the last 20ish years. So any of the particularly good series there, like ASOIAF as you say.

Structurally, I think Brandon Sanderson's "The Stormlight Archive" (The Way of Kings + Words of Radiance) are doing the most interesting thing with that format these days - to combat scope creep and sprawl that ends up in those sort of narratives, he set a hard limit on only using 10 specific characters as POVs for the series (so far he's only used like 4 of them, but there are plenty of books to come in the series), and each book has an "interlude" section where he writes one-off short stories set in the same world, to get the urge to worldbuild/showcase different characters/etc out. Keeps the narrative focused while allowing him to enjoy the benefits of having loads of POVs.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.