[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where were Medieval and Renaissance readers so sympathetic to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: iliad-fagles.jpg (170 KB, 984x1543) Image search: [Google]
iliad-fagles.jpg
170 KB, 984x1543
Where were Medieval and Renaissance readers so sympathetic to the Trojans in their reflections on the Trojan War?

Is it all down to them being more familiar with the Aeneid than the Iliad?
>>
yeah
and being more familiar with/interested in latin texts than greek in general
>>
>>8271592

>Not feeling sympathy for the Trojans.
>>
Even the Greeks who listened to the Iliad were sympathetic to the Trojans, I think.
>>
>>8271666
Even some of the greeks in The Iliad were friends with the trojans
>>
>>8271666
>>8271674
i think the general idea of the trojan war people have before reading homer has the greeks and trojans as two distinct peoples, foreign to one another, but this wasnt true at all
>>
Yes, basically.

Hardly anyone read Homer until the 16th century, and it wasn't until the Romantics that he achieved his present reputation.

For all "let start with less Greeks" Mene they're not actually that important to the canon on their own.
>>
>>8271592

Yeah, Latin was almost a native tongue for most of these guys, very few people knew Greek to the point that they could read it with comfort and ease. Plus Homer himself is sympathetic to the Trojans. There's also a tradition of seeing ourselves as the heirs of the Romans, not the Greeks. After all our language was Latin.
>>
>>8271736
People say to start with the Greeks in reference to Philosophy and reading Plato and Aristotle.
>>
>>8271759
But that's even stupider. Anyone interested in philosophy should start with Descartes because he discarded virtually everything important from Aristotle and created modern philosophy on his own.
>>
>>8271908
did you mean "unimportant"? like, Descartes kept the good bits and added his own shit to it? I totally disagree with your advice (not to start with the Greeks,) but just for the record, Leibniz is the guy you want to be recommending. he achieved a real synthesis between ancient and early modern thought.
>>
>>8271908
>not reading the scholastics
heathen
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.