[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With regard to the Eternal Recurrence. If it's true, doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: nietzsche_and_the_horse_600.jpg (73 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche_and_the_horse_600.jpg
73 KB, 600x481
With regard to the Eternal Recurrence.

If it's true, doesn't it mean every action and consequence is predetermined? And paradoxically this is meant to inspire us to change/improve our lives?

I suppose I'm kind of asking "If actions are predetermined, do we have free will?" But it seems paradoxical when Eternal Recurrence seems to refute free will, when Eternal Recurrence is connected with Will to Power
>>
Like, literally read the part where he brings up the eternal recurrence. It's quite clearly just a poetic idea intended to inspire you to embrace life. It's not a metaphysical assertion.

Besides, even if it was an argument for determinism the response "Well then it doesn't even matter what I choose!" is, like, comedic.
>>
>>8271533
I agree with >>8271566 , what you're talking about isn't Nietzsche's problem here
>>
>>8271533
its the turin horse, op. the turin horse.

that horse. its the turin horse.

turin horse
>>
The point of the Eternal Recurrence is that history tends to repeat itself. Nietzsche neither intended it as an absolute statement with absolute rules. Rather, it is an observation that due to the weaknesses of human nature, people will act similarly in their lives and especially in positions of power, and therefore history will look similar to previous events. Because of this, you can predict the outcome of a situation based on how it turned out in a previous iteration.
>>
>>8272734
I don't want to be rude, but eternal recurrence in Nietzsche's work isn't about what you said at all
>>
The eternal recurrence is just a thought experiment designed to affirm ones way of life. You should live as though every action you perform, you must perform forever.
>>
eternal recurrence of the same refers to repeated events that happen over and over due to the weakness of people's will to power. cause and effect apply in nizzy's philosophy, free will doesn't exist in nizzy's philosophy, only
strong and weak wills.
>>
>>8272859
>due to the weakness of people's will to power
nope

>>8272846
>>
>eternal recurrence

Oh hey, that Touhou fangame used that idea.
>>
>>8271533
Simply put, eternal recurrence is a bullshit claim about the world with no concrete evidence.
>>
>>8274000
Simply put, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>8272734
That's bullshit though because Nietzsche meant it as a literal groundhog day recurrence, you die and BOOM, you live the exact same life immediately.

He wasn't saying it literally, he just thought that this conception of the afterlife should replace heaven/hell in our minds because of how it will morph our behavior. ER was the next best idea for the 'noble lie'.

If you believe that doing 'evil' things according to your book makes you go to hell, then you will minimize evil at any cost. Good things, deeds, in Christianity, do not get you into heaven but evil ones get you sent to hell. So there's a risk aversion that programs into us.

Compare this to the Greek myth that the heroic and legendary go to Olympus to live with the Gods, and the mediocre people live in Hades in a realm that is neither punishment nor reward. Only the especially evil go to Tartarus, and even then this is a later addition, as originally it served only as a prison for the Titans and dangers to the Gods of Olympus. This is a better myth for Nietzsche who wants to see heroism and greatness venerated and mediocrity merely tolerated (while for Christians it is the opposite, the mediocre 'good' man is the standard while the heroes often damn themselves).

Finally to ER, which is completely moraline free. It merely says you should act as if you would have to do that act, over and over again for eternity. This is the most personal way to construct an afterlife belief since everyone has a different standard of what would be a torment.
>>
>>8275153

Wonderful post
>>
>>8271566
>It's not a metaphysical assertion.
It is a metaphysical assertion. If time and space are infinite and we are the result of finite processes we are doomed to recur. And this has a few implications.

How Nietzsche treats it though is not as an inevitability. It's not exactly possible to escape it but it is possible to overcome it.
>>
>>8275334
It's a piss poor post and both of you should read some Greeks and then Nietzsche. And stop being edgy atheismos
>>
>>8275395

Really terrible post, please try putting some content into your next one
>>
>>8275403
Look m8 I honestly don't know where to begin with that pile of uncited manure up there, nor with the dipshits blindly asserting to each other it was merely a thought experiment.

Where does anyone get the impression it's some weird substitution for an afterlife?
>>
>>8275412

Well, what do you think Nietzsche actually says about eternal recurrence? What is the correct interpretation of it, from his works?
>>
File: 1468364141578.jpg (103 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
1468364141578.jpg
103 KB, 600x481
>>
>>8275414
The principle of the conservation of energy demands eternal recurrence :^)
>>
>>8275395
If you're goning to talk about myths then Eliade's Eteral Return is much more relevant than the philospohical concept
>>
>>8271533
not understanding the idea of ER is a red flag for autism
>>
It's the eternal repetition of pure difference
>>
>>8272734
you have either never read Nietzsche or have grossly misunderstood him
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.